How Encrypt Writer odt Document? (Encode, Not Password)

Discuss the word processor
TomBrooklyn

How Encrypt Writer odt Document? (Encode, Not Password)

Post by TomBrooklyn »

Are there any good ways to encode a Writer odt document?

I am referring to encrypting the contents of the document, not applying a password to it.

I suppose this might be something that could be applied to any word processor type document, and might not be specific to Writer or Open Office; but I don't know.
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Pro
RoryOF

Re: How Encrypt Writer odt Document? (Encode, Not Password)

Post by RoryOF »

Applying a password will encrypt the file beyond reasonable decoding (cracking) by someone without the password.

I suggest you do not do this for two reasons

1) If you forget the password, the file is effectively lost

2) if the file becomes corrupted, whether through a premature or unscheduled close down of the computer, or a program crash, it will be impossible to diagnose if this has happened and the file will be lost. Bad encryption will be blamed, but the problem will actually be a corrupt file.
 Edit: You can encrypt any file outside of its application by applying a standard archive manager which will allow one Save the file with a password; the strength of the enrcyption depends on the archive manager chosen.

Alternately, one can encrypt the entire disk drive on which the file is stored; how to do this depends on your operating system, which consult for detailed instructions. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Andrewgupta
Banned

Re: How Encrypt Writer odt Document? (Encode, Not Password)

Post by Andrewgupta »

Thanks for your suggestion @RoryOF
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10