OO to Libre

Discuss the word processor
desdichato

OO to Libre

Post by desdichato »

Hi,

I have recently changed from windows 10 with Open Office to Linux mint with Libre Office and opened a document that I haven't previously opened since the change of OS and Office programs and it mostly seems alright apart from the page break alignment which is a minor issue what is annoying me though, is I have a hyphenated name (Smith-Jones) but on the screen it is showing the hyphen as greyed out, in the printout from Open Office it comes out normally, I have tried to replace the name by putting a space before and after the hyphen but find and replace is not working correctly doing only one or non at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OO to Libre

Post by Villeroy »

The grey color indicates that this is a special hyphen (sorry, I don't know the correct name). With this hyphen the name sticks together. It won't be separated by automatic line break. This is not a problem. It's a feature. In PDF and in paper prints, the grey indicators are not visible.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: OO to Libre

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote:The grey color indicates that this is a special hyphen (sorry, I don't know the correct name).
A non-breaking hyphen, Villeroy - reached (in OO Writer, perhaps different in LibreOffice Writer?) through /Insert /Formatting mark : Non-breaking hyphen. The grey colour shows on screen when /View /Field shading is turned on - this shading doesn't pint.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS