[Solved] French Language Pack - Already Installed

Discuss the word processor
psom0ne

[Solved] French Language Pack - Already Installed

Post by psom0ne »

Hello everyone! Newbie here.

I used Open Office years ago but have switched back over. I'm having difficutly installing the French language pack. I went to the page, selected the French lanugage pack, but - in French - the installer tells me that I already have it installed. Clearly the installer is seeing my version of Open Office. So, I downloaded the .exe installer from (https://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#aoo). I must be overlooking something quite simple, but what? Is there actual command line code that I must do myself or...? I'm just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

psom0ne
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 64
Hagar Delest

Re: French Language Pack - Installer Says Already Installed

Post by Hagar Delest »

What's the problem exactly? The interface is not in French?
If you've done the main installation with another language, then you need to change the language from within AOO, that is Tools>Options>Language settings>Languages and the select French for the User interface field.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

Thanks for the quick reply. You're correct. The interface is not in French. I installed AOO in English (my primary language) and want to add French (my second language). I downloaded the French language pack from the link (https://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#aoo) as mentioned above, but when I tried installing it, the dialog tells me that it (what I thought was the language pack) had already been installed and it terminates any further options. Sorry to be so pedestrian. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out. I'm guessing that my computer is "thinking" that what I'm trying to install is AOO in French as my default language, not the add-on pack.

When I try to change the language from within AOO, my only option is the default English (USA), so it's not installed. Again, very sorry to be so slow, but I don't see another source for an alternative language pack. Perhaps I'm mistakenly at the wrong download page for the French language pack?

Another quick note: I did run the installer as an admin w/ elevated rights, but no dice. Perhaps there are certain files that simply need to be copied into the AOO application folder? And thanks again for the rapid reply. I know I'll get it done...esp as I become familiar w/ AOO again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you wish to add French as a spelllcheck language, or to convert the OO inteface into French? These are two different things, done in different ways.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

I would like to have the option to switch the interface entirely to French. This way, when I have a job to complete in French, I can jump over to that interface, and when I'm finished, come back to my native English. After that, then I plan on adding the French spellcheck option.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't you see that:
Language settings.png
I guess that you've rebooted the machine at least once since the installation; Perhaps the Quickstarter was preventing the new package to be seen.
Else, no idea. I would try to uninstall AOO, redo the main installation with the EN version and install the FR language pack just afterward.
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

No, unfortunately I don't and I know it must be something on my end that I'm not doing correctly. I just rebooted and checked. I'll try the reinstallation (backing up my data files first of course) and see if that works. Typically when something like this happens to me, it ends up bieng something right in front of me that I'm overlooking. I suspect the same here. But I appreciate the help...very much. Merci. Bonne journée.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also try to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Perhaps there is something that prevents the language pack to appear.
No need to backup your files, the configuration (in the user profile) is not removed at uninstall (as long as you don't use any cleaner utility that would specifically detect these remnants).
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

Merci Hagar - I will try that as soon as I finish up a small transcritpion I'm doing. Thank you very much for your time and help. I just wonder if I'm downloading the correct installer. What I have seems to be the French version of AOO, but I downloaded it from the language pack site, so...

I will follow up ASAP.
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

By the way, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this is the installer pack I have:

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6_Win_x86_install_fr.exe

Looking at it...I see that it's not 64 bit? That may be one problem, but that's the only option I see to download. I still haven't gotten around to doing the uninstall procedure, but maybe I can avoid that altogether if I downloaded the wrong thing to begein with.
YODA

Post by YODA »

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6_Win_x86_install_fr.exe is not a Language Pack but the installer for Apache_OpenOffice which you already have the English version of installed.
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

And at present OpenOffice is 32 bit on Windows; it runs on Windows 32 or 64 bit.
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

YODA wrote:Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.6_Win_x86_install_fr.exe is not a Language Pack but the installer for Apache_OpenOffice which you already have the English version of installed.
Okay, as I suspected. That clears that up. So, I see the links here (https://www.openoffice.org/download/oth ... #tested-lp) for "Full Installation + Language Packs," but where do I find the language pack only? I don't see a link for that there. However, I don't quite understand:

ASC
SHA256 SHA512

Do thesee refer to the language packs alone? If so, when I click on those links, I'm simply taken to pages w/ text on them. Do I need to paste those somewhere or something. Pleaes pardon my ignorance. I do appreciate your patience.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Go to the download page at http://www.openoffice.org/download/ , select your choice of operating system and OO version, then click on the Language Pack button.

The SHA links list the checksums for various file verification methods - usually not needed unless a very bad internet connection.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

psom0ne wrote:So, I see the links here (https://www.openoffice.org/download/oth ... #tested-lp) for "Full Installation + Language Packs," but where do I find the language pack only? I don't see a link for that there.
When I go to the linked page, I see a table which shows a language name in every other row. The row with the language name has the links for the full installation. The links for the language pack are in the next row. If you hover the mouse pointer over the links, you should see a file name displayed at the bottom of your Web browser window. If the file name has "install" in the file name, it is a full installation file. If the file name has "langpack" in the file name, it is a language pack.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
psom0ne

Post by psom0ne »

RoryOF wrote:Go to the download page at http://www.openoffice.org/download/ , select your choice of operating system and OO version, then click on the Language Pack button.

The SHA links list the checksums for various file verification methods - usually not needed unless a very bad internet connection.
Voila! That did it. Thank you so much for your patience and perseverence. For whatever reason, I did not find the right download page. You led me to it and it was super easy from there. Again, thank you. Now I can get to work.

Bravo! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
psom0ne

Re: [Solved] French Language Pack - Already Installed

Post by psom0ne »

By the way - thank you to whomever added "Solved" at the beginning of the post. I forgot to do that. Apologies. And thanks again for all the help.
robleyd

Re: [Solved] French Language Pack - Already Installed

Post by robleyd »

whomever added "Solved"
Look at the end of your post - all will be revealed. You just have to read the information on your screen....
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers