[Solved] Sorting a table in AOO Writer

Discuss the word processor
wdc

[Solved] Sorting a table in AOO Writer

Post by wdc »

Please tell me how to SORT a table such that the entries in Column 1 are alphabetized and their associated column 2 and column 3 entries "stay" with their masters from column 1?

Thus I want

Code: Select all

grapes       purple      round
    bananas      yellow      long
    apples       red         round
    figs         brown       flat
to come out

Code: Select all

apples       red         round
    bananas      yellow      long
    figs         brown       flat
    grapes       purple      round
Thank you. ....wdc
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.11 for Windows in English/ W11.1 (with Chrome)
robleyd

Re: Sorting a table in OOWriterapples red/green one a day

Post by robleyd »

Select the entire table you want to sort; go to Tools | Sort or Table | Sort; under sort criteria, select key1 and column 1, ascending (probably the default) and click OK.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
wdc

Re: Sorting a table in AOO Writer

Post by wdc »

David: Thanks for responding. There seems to be a difference in our versions of OOW. I have been working with the SORT under TABLES. The SORT under TOOLS is inactive, shaded out. So I cannot follow your suggestion.

Sorting (under) Table <does> alphabetize the designated column but it does not "carry along' the associated entries in columns 2, 3, et al. wdc
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

wdc wrote:Sorting (under) Table <does> alphabetize the designated column but it does not "carry along' the associated entries in columns 2, 3, et al.
On my Openoffice installation, Table → Sort keeps row entries together if I select the entire table (Table → Select → Table) before performing the sort.
Before sort
Before sort
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 15.16.58 .png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Sort dialog
Sort dialog
After sort
After sort
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 15.18.15 .png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Read about Sorting data in a table, especially the note at the end of that subject. You have to select …

If you continue to have difficulty, you are more likely to get your problem solved quickly if you attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). Explain in detail all the steps you use to perform the sort,

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Sorting (under) Table <does> alphabetize the designated column but it does not "carry along' the associated entries in columns 2, 3, et al
As mentioned,you need to select all the columns to have them included in the sort process.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

wdc wrote:David: Thanks for responding. There seems to be a difference in our versions of OOW. I have been working with the SORT under TABLES. The SORT under TOOLS is inactive, shaded out. So I cannot follow your suggestion.
Table > Sort and Tools > Sort open the same Sort dialog, so you should be able to follow David's suggestion by using Table > Sort instead of Tools > Sort.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
wdc

Re: Sorting tkla table in AOO Writer

Post by wdc »

Thank you all for your directions and your patience.
I am ok now. Wdc