[Solved] Labels made in MS Word

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Labels made in MS Word

Postby Jorus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi,

I have some label files here which have been made in MS Word. I would like to make them work in OoWriter, but cant figure out how. When i open them now in Writer everything is wrong, the size, the fit, no hatchings to see the size of the label.
I hope someone can help me out, otherwise i have to type everything over again.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
Openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Jorus

Re: Labels made in MS Word

Postby MrProgrammer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Jorus wrote:I hope someone can help me out, otherwise i have to type everything over again.
Well, surely not. All you need to do is remove the bad formatting from Word and apply the desired formatting in Writer. You don't need to retype your data. But it is common for Word documents to become a mess in Writer, and many find it helps to copy all of the data to the clipboard, create a new Writer document, paste from the clipboard, then abandon the Word document. Depending on how Word created the document, much of the formatting can be removed by selecting everything, applying the Default style, and using Format → Default Formatting. Another way to remove formatting is to use Paste Special → Unformatted Text instead of Paste when creating a new Writer document.

Jorus wrote:I would like to make [labels] work in OoWriter
Labels can be created in Writer one of two ways:
• using Mail Merge, or
• by putting the data into an appropriately configured table.
Very generally, one uses the first approach if the source data is in a database, and the second approach if not. A spreadsheet can be configured as a read-only pseudo-database so the first approach would apply. Without knowing anything further about your situation I cannot advise you which approach is better for you. The Mail Merge process in OpenOffice is completely different than that feature in Microsnot Office. The OpenOffice process may be difficult to understand at first, but it is more flexible method with many advantages.

There are hundreds of posts in these forums about creating labels and about Mail Merge. You should be able to find one which is similar to your situation. If you intend to use Writer for label creation you will need to spend some time learning about this subject. Otherwise you should plan on continuing to use Word. Both Writer and Word are high quality text document processors and share many of the same features, but they have no common base and are completely different internally. It is a mistake to think of Writer as a clone of Word. Some Word features have no equivalent in Writer; some Writer features have no equivalent in Word. You must forget Word procedures and re-learn Writer procedures.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on MacOS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: Labels made in MS Word

Postby Jorus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:27 pm

It's solved! I first opened the file in MS Word and saved it as .odt . Then i opened it in Writer and checked Table limits under Table.
Thanks.
Openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Jorus

Return to Writer