OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Discuss the word processor

OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby kingwillard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 am

I need HELP!!! I spent hours working on a Writer doc and OpenOffice crashed, as it does occasionally, and the window for recovery came up. At first, it said that the 2 files were not recoverable and then it said they were recovered. But I think the program closed again and when I opened it again the file wasn't recovered and I had lost ALL OF MY WORK!! I searched and found about Tools-Options-Load/Save/General but the auto-recovery option was turned on already. I also tried Tools-Options-Paths-Backups AND Temporary files but found nada! I tried windows-R to open the Run app and entered %appdata%\OpenOffice\4\user\backup but I had already checked that folder so nada! I tried reading former posts in this forum but couldn't find anything that I hadn't tried or anything that was useful. I am SICK AND TIRED of OpenOffice crashing for no apparent reason and having to stop and recover my work. And sometimes this happens 2-3 times IN A ROW! A note to OpenOffice developers- FIX THE PROBLEM!!! I have reported this problem before and no one knew what to do. OpenOffice is a fine program and has been available for many years. And yet it still screws up. There is no excuse for this! If anybody can help, please let me know. Thanks so much. I'm really pissed.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
kingwillard
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby keme » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 am

I understand the aggravation, but for that you are barking up the wrong tree. This forum consists of users mostly, i.e. more or less your peers. Developers do not visit here to get ideas about what to do next.
Notes to developers should go to developer community, usually through the issue tracker.

Also, your statement that "there is no excuse" implies that someone is to blame. Might I suggest that you look for culpability closer to home? There are two particular reasons for this suggestion (specified below, with advice to help you reduce the risk in the future):

1) Previous experience
You said that OpenOffice occasionally crashes. This should have given you a clue that it is wise to save frequently. Also, it is advisable to save to multiple containers if the content is of some value.

2) Previous experience
You said that OpenOffice occasionally crashes. To me, this is a symptom that something is wrong with your system. Certainly, other users also report occasional, or even frequent, crashes. If that was true for the majority of users, OpenOffice would be dead and gone by now. I am a fairly heavy user of the suite, on Linux, OS-X and Windows, on brand new computers as well as some 10+ years old. I experience crashes too, but rarely (maybe once or twice through the year). Install system updates. Check for physical defects (worn harddisk, badly seated RAM and expansion boards, pinched cables). Run automated system scans (healthscan and malware scan).

As for recovering your previous work, see RoryOF's suggestions below!
Last edited by keme on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
keme
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3234
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Egersund, Norway

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby RoryOF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:15 am

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you are using Windows10 it was reported that a Win10 update some months ago rendered OpenOffice (in particular Calc) extremely unstable. Later reports suggest that a more recent Win10 update fixed this, so it is recommended that Win10 users tell Windodows to do a complete update. However, use the above suggestions to attempt to recover your file _BEFORE_ undertaking such an update.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:47 pm

OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work

HOURS of work???
You must save often your important document. Or it is better to create many backups with time stamped file names.

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/exte ... amp-backup
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
User avatar
Zizi64
Volunteer
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby RoryOF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:18 pm

It is good to remember that Ctrl S will save any file; one should always press this instinctively before walking away from a computer, or even while pausing for thought.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 pm

kingwillard wrote:A note to OpenOffice developers- FIX THE PROBLEM!!! I have reported this problem before and no one knew what to do.

Please post a link to the problem report. I can't find it. You haven't said how to reproduce the problem. Without instructions for reproducing the problem, a developer can't fix the problem and other users can't provide specific advice about how to avoid the problem.

Your signature says that you're using OOo 2.4 which is obsolete. If you're using OOo 2.4, then you should upgrade. No developer will fix OOo 2.4. If you're using a different version of OpenOffice, please FIX YOUR SIGNATURE.
AOO 4.1.6 and LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7325
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby kingwillard » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am

I will DEFINITELY report the bug. As I said I have brought this to the attention of your staff before and it still SCREWS UP!!! Might I suggest that I did save the doc multiple times but the fact remains that the program shouldn't crash that often!! I did say that OpenOffice occasionally crashes and so have many other users on THIS VERY FORUM. It's so convenient to blame the user as opposed to actually delivering a quality product. Don't get me wrong, I have used OO for years and like it. But there is NOTHING wrong with my computer. I have seen many posts in this forum from other users who have had occasional, or even frequent, crashes. It is truly a mystery as to why OpenOffice hasn't been FIXED!! Maybe it is time to kill it and start over! I'm so glad that you rarely experience crashes but so many of us do. Perhaps they're like me in that they haven't bothered to report how many times OO has screwed up!! My computer has NO physical defects (worn harddisk, badly seated RAM and expansion boards, or pinched cables). I have Norton Lifelock which does automatic system scans and the Security, Online Safety, and Performance options are enabled. I'm not sure if I filed a problem report. I do know that I've had other strange issues with OO and either filed a report or posted in this forum. I checked my emails and found only a recent post I made about not being able to select multiple non-consecutive rows in Calc and move or delete them. But I remember getting tired of all the frequent crashes, sometimes 2-3 times in a row, and posting or emailing about it and receiving replies. About reproducing the problem, one thing I noticed is that when I was copying and pasting content from the web or other files the crashes occur. In fact, it happened again tonight! I am now using Wordpad when I can to avoid the hassles. I'm not sure what my signature is but I am running OOo 4.1.6 which is NOT obsolete. Sincerely, One Frustrated USER.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
kingwillard
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby RoryOF » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am

You are labouring under a misapprehension that the volunteers on the Forum are AOO staff. AOo is manned by volunteers who work on the project in their own time, as do the Volunteers on Forum.

You initially joined this Forum on 02 October 2009 and your entire posting history on this Forum is 2 posts on Grammarly, 5 on moving multiple rows in Calc, 2 on this current topic.

Have you checked that your Windows installation is up-to-date? (I mean checked, not assumed). Be aware that any application that touches open OpenOffice files can produce instability - perhaps Norton is doing that? What happens if you disconnect from the Internet (for safety reasons during this test), and run OO while Windows is in Safe Mode?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby keme » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm

kingwillard wrote:...
It's so convenient to blame the user as opposed to actually delivering a quality product.
...

I did not want to blame anyone, just to steer the perceived (implied) blame away from myself and my fellow helpers.
Again (as also indicated by RoryOF): as far as affiliation to the "software vendor" (Apache.org) goes, you and I are peers. We are both users of the same Office suite.

As I see it, my previous posting was not "opposed to" but rather "synonymous to" delivering a quality product. "My product" in this context is not the OpenOffice suite, but advice on how to operate the suite optimally. To that end I have nothing better to deliver for the situation you describe. If you are offended by that, I am sorry.

I am not saying that OpenOffice is perfectly programmed. There are errors in code and/or in underlying dialog boxes and their translations. Usually, those errors are very apparent, and also they rarely cause instability issues.
Sure, instability will often occur when using office suites, but the office application is not always to blame. Office apps interconnect with other software to a greater extent than most other types of software, so any conflict between installed softwares is more likely to come into play when you use "general purpose" tools like a wordprocessor, as opposed to more demanding, specialised software like video editing, CAD, or games.

WE CANNOT FIX THIS.

To elaborate on the advice I tried to give you before:

It seems that you have checked for physical defects/mistakes. Good!

Power-on self test (POST) is usually rudimentary but may give some pointers to hardware problems. Pay attention to messages onscreeen when the computer starts up.

The BIOS/UEFI boot menu probably gives a selection of computer health check options, which go deeper in your system than the POST. This detects many physical (electronics) errors, most of which will pass a visual inspection. The menu can usually only be entered at boot time (sometimes only from cold boot) by a keypress which varies between manufacturers. Function keys F1, F2 and F10 are common, but not universal.

System updates as early as possible and regular malware scans with an additional antimalware product are sensible procedures to improve stability. Note that Symantec products, and their consumer targeted "Norton" product line in particular, are known to give lockup problems and false positives when run in parallel with other security software. Malwarebytes Antimalware run in safe mode is my fallback, which has not failed me yet. (20 years work experience as ICT manager in a secondary school, also providing service to the student body of around 750, builds a fairly solid foundation for my claims ;) )

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOU CAN FIX THIS.

At worst, modern operating systems now also have the option to revert to initial (factory) setup while keeping all your documents. This should remove all errors caused by accident or attack. It is going to be a bit of work to set up your system again, so this is only advisable as a last resort.

IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT YOU CAN FIX THIS, BUT WOULD RATHER NOT. WE UNDERSTAND.
User avatar
keme
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3234
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Egersund, Norway

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby John_Ha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm

You are finding it unstable but about 200,000,000 million users find it stable so I think you need to do a little maths.

Do you think the problem lies with the AOO software the other 199,999,999 people find is OK?

Or do you think that, just possibly, the problem might lie with your understanding (or lack of understanding) of AOO, your installation, your unique PC configuration, your way of working and/or with the files you are editing?

We are here to try and help, not to waste our time listening to complaints. Please read Survival Guide for the forum

If you want someone to look at the files upload them so they be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby kingwillard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:01 am

I don't really give a flying *** who is responsible for this "quality" product, be they volunteers or Martians. The fact remains that this office suite isn't worth that much to me if it continually screws up, as it DOES. When I joined this Forum and what I have posted is of no concern in this issue. I don't have to check that my Windows installation is up-to-date as it's done automatically and none of my other programs screw up this much and they are on my PC along with Windows. If just any old application that touches open OpenOffice files can produce instability perhaps the problem is with OO! I don't need to disconnect from the Internet (for safety reasons or any other reason), and run OO while Windows is in Safe Mode for ANY OF MY OTHER PROGRAMS.No, you don't want to blame anyone, just to steer the ACTUAL blame away from yourself and your fellow helpers who are RESPONSIBLE for this poor product! Perhaps the "software vendor" (Apache.org) should do something to fix the problems that many of the users of the this Office suite suffer through and have posted about in this forum. As far as I'm concerned your advice isn't worth the effort you spent on posting it. It's ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you have nothing better to deliver for the situation! That goes without saying. I agree with you that there are errors in code and/or in underlying dialog boxes and their translations and that they usually are very apparent. But your opinion that they rarely cause instability issues can be seen in the many user posts in this forum. I also agree that instability will often occur when using office suites and software in general. We've all had those problems certainly. The early versions of Windows come to mind. But isn't that the whole purpose of software like OO, to be BETTER than the many crappy software programs out there? The facts, if that is indeed what they are, that a lot of the Office apps interconnect with other software to a greater extent than most other types of software and any conflict between installed software is more likely to come into play when using "general purpose" tools, as opposed to more demanding, specialised software like video editing, CAD, or games is irrelevant. The "fact" remains that the quality of products and services are no longer important considerations. Everybody wants to take the shortcuts and to hell with quality and integrity! People just don't care to do the job properly and get defensive when they are confronted with complaints and suggestions on how to do better.

It's very apparent that YOU AND YOUR fellow volunteers can't fix this. Nor do you care about doing so. If you could have and wanted to fix it you would have done so a long time ago. Whether or not I have checked for physical defects/mistakes is, again, not the issue. I shouldn't have to check EVERY CONCEIVABLE scenario just to edit a simple text document. I have no onscreen error messages when my computer starts up. It is true that Symantec and many other company's products such as Norton have been known to have flaws. But as I said before, isn't the whole reason behind OO is to be a BETTER product? Twenty-something years of working with OO and many other software products builds a damn fine foundation for MY claims. It is definitely up to me to FIX THE PROBLEM. The fact that about 200,000,000 million users find it stable is of NO HELP when I lose data due to a product such as OO. I DEFINITELY think the problem lies with the AOO software as seen in the many posts by users in this forum. I DEFINITELY don't think the problem lies with my understanding of OO, my installation, my PC configuration, my way of working and/or with the files you are editing. You don't have to be a genius to understand OO and I work with files just like any other normal human being on this planet. If you are here to try and help then it definitely shouldn't be a waste of your "valuable?" time listening to valid problems that users encounter. How in the hell are you going to be able to gain any understanding at all by analyzing my files? With the "quality" of your advice so far the prospect of gaining valuable insight into my problem is not very comforting. But you "helpers need not worry with me anymore. I won't be using this program and have already begun using another one. Time will tell if the new one is better than OO!
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
kingwillard
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Lupp » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 pm

@kingwillard.
Sorry. As long as you don't tell what version of OpenOffice you are actually using (and update your signature to the correct information) this complete discussion is simply a waste of time.

I dare state that no software (developer team) in the world can fix an outdated version with effect for an existing install. For fighting issues and fixing bugs new versions are made.

Concerning an update to a new versions many years younger than the installed one, you should also regard the advice to completely uninstall the old version in advance, thus creating a well defined basis for the new install.

Any recent version of whatever software may, however, request new minimum requirements concerning its working environment with respect to the OperatingSystem and the hardware as well.

After a lot of whining, and trying to make us believe you knew better, you told us you shifted to a different brand without telling us which one. That's not the way forums work. Please stay off if you lack the intention to participate. This is not a service for customers.

By the way: I agree with your statement that any software competing with a different one for the same field of tasks not only should try to be something like a surrogate, but to be definitely better. Alas! Whether something is better or not (or worse) allows for judgement under so many aspects and based on so different personal preferences, that we cannot expect unambiguous results when priorities need to be listed.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
User avatar
Lupp
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: München, Germany

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby kingwillard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Sorry, I guess you didn't listen. I am running OO 4.1.6 and I told you that. I don't know what the hell my signature is and frankly don't care. It makes no difference in the poor results I'm getting from OO. It seems to be fairly typical of volunteers like you AND the tech people to consider this complete discussion to be a waste of time. I submitted my bug, as you suggested, and they basically said it wasn't a bug and is not worthy of their time to consider it. They said to try the forums and mailing lists. Truly competent software developer teams could fix this problem since, and I reiterate, I AM NOT USING an outdated version! I don't know what you're talking about concerning an update to newer versions many years younger since I never said that and am not going to do that. Again, if OO was the quality, stable product you claim it is then I wouldn't need to uninstall the old version and install a new one. What you consider whining is actually an effort to fix a PROBLEM. I am now using LibreOffice and it appears that even a monkey would know better how to how to fix the PROBLEM and give good customer service. For your information, forums are supposed to be for helping each other with issues and ideas. But don't worry as I am most certainly going to stay out of this forum. I have indeed participated in bringing to light a very old and frustrating problem that you, your fellow volunteers, and the tech staff want to ignore. I agree that this forum is not a service for customers as shown by the complete lack of understanding and assistance that I have received. And you are right when you agree with me that any software that's competing with similar programs should try to be better. But the fact that this product is worse than others is not only my judgment but also a reality, no matter how vigorously you try to defend it. Other programs are also used by people with different personal preferences and they don't produce the poor results that OO has done for me. So, in summary, thanks for the poor advice and understanding of this very real issue. I sincerely hope that you don't use this same strategy for other issues in your professional and personal situations. Goodbye and GOOD RIDDANCE!
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
kingwillard
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Lupp » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 pm

kingwillard wrote:I don't know what the hell my signature is and frankly don't care.
Frankly spoken that's simply too silly - as is most of what you wrote in the post above.

kingwillard wrote:I agree that this forum is not a service for customers as shown by the complete lack of understanding and assistance that I have received.
You again insist in misinterpreting the situation. This cannot be a customer service simply because there are no customers and nobody among the contributors to this forum is a vendor or a vendor's emlpoyee concerning AOO.

If you cared just a bit about my signature, you would know that I mainly am using LibreOffice. That's not exactly becasue it is more stable, but because it is under more active development, and thus more interesting for me, though I rarely use one of the new features, not to speak of needing it. In addition I often take a critical position concerning frequent changes in the UI.

Anyway you shold be prepared to meet me again on the ask.libreoffice.org/en site. Of course I will not post help there If I suspect it was you who posted the question.

A final recommendation: https://arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html . The text is about 15 years old, but still notable.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 6.2 and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.5 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
User avatar
Lupp
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: München, Germany

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby John_Ha » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:52 am

Please return AOO back to where you bought it and be sure to ask for every penny of your money back.

As we will not see you any more we can then concentrate our efforts on those who appreciate the assistance they are given and read what is posted to help them.

The problem is caused by YOUR understanding (or rather YOUR lack of understanding) of AOO, YOUR installation, YOUR unique PC configuration, YOUR way of working and/or with YOUR files. It's tough for you to be told that but it's the truth.

We are here to try and help other users like us, who want assistance and who read what is posted. We are not here to waste our time listening to your complaints. We have neither time nor inclination to read walls of text. Please read Survival Guide for the forum
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Seekinghelponprogram » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:47 am

You need to save your work constantly. This is something that you should do with any computer program.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
Seekinghelponprogram
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:40 am

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Skara Brae » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:15 pm

kingwillard wrote:Goodbye and GOOD RIDDANCE!

Dear Willard,

I reply to your (melo?)dramatic postings, because your signature says that you are still running Windows Vista. I, too, have two computers that are still running Windows Vista (Basic and Premium) since about 2012 (yeah yeah, it is not longer supported, so what?), and I have never had many/big problems with Vista. In fact, it is my most favourite - pardon me, I mean my least-unfavourite Windows version - and I am going to keep Vista until these two PC's of mine will break down. But I digress.

Kingwillard,
I understand very well your frustation and your anger: as an OOo user for years I have tried LibreOffice more than once, in Windows and in Linux, and often LibreOffice Writer crashed on me regularly, making me lose work (though not hours and hours, so I never was as angry and frustrated as you are).

As an example: only yesterday, Saturday 23 March, I started LibreOffice version 6-something under a brand new install of LMDE3 ("Linux Mint Debian Edition") on a computer of mine. I start LO to edit the menus like I always do in OpenOffice, too - and BANG, LibreOffice crashes. It crashed - under Linux - after maybe two minutes... Sheesh :roll: Yes, I roll my eyes, because OpenOffice does never crash (I cannot remember when it last crashed). OpenOffice is much more stable than LibreOffice any-version.

So, you have problems with OpenOffice in Windows Vista. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you keep Windows Vista "maintained" and "cleaned up"? I use CCleaner for that, and I defragment my hard drives (not necessary with SSD's, of course). I have never heard of Norton Lifelock. I even used Vista for gaming, back in the days (eat that, all you Vista bashers. :) )

Kingwillard,
Have you installed OpenOffice on your harddrive? I assume that you have tried completely removing it and reinstalling it? Try to find a way to clean up the Windows registry to remove all traces of OpenOffice (but be careful, if you do this...)

Have you tried previous versions - 4.1.5 or 4.1.4? (At work, we still use OOo 2.4 under some virtual Microsoft program thingie, which is slow as a turtle). I use AOO 4.1.5. portable. I never have problems.). Do previous versions crash too?

Have you tried using OpenOffice Portable? Does it happen in the Portable version, too? (It shouldn't, as a Portable version is a totally "install".)

Kingwillard,
Do not give up on OpenOffice. It _IS_ a good program. But nothing is perfect. If you have problems, then ask for help. Anger and frustration do nothing to help you.

And surely you don't want to spend (waste) money on Microsoft Office?
Openoffice 4.1.6 on Linux Mint 19.1 / OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows Vista, Windows 10 *** Registered Linux User #495429
Skara Brae
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby kingwillard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:06 am

You guys may have 20+ years of work experience as ICT managers, Software developers, Database administrators, or any other of the thousands of titles found in the world of computing but you are not now, or ever will be, experts at helping others with OO. Frankly spoken all of you have shown your inner stupidity and downright silliness in your posts. And you still insist on giving bad advice and ignoring the realities of an unstable program. Your supposed role is to share your expertise with the users and provide useful advice. Sharing expertise and providing useful advice are cornerstones of customer service. You can blab on and on about whether the users are called customers, consumers, idiots, etc. But the fact remains that we started using OO because we thought it might be a quality product. None of the contributors to this forum may be a vendor or a vendor's employee of AOO but you sure act like you are in their hip pockets. LibreOffice has its disadvantages but any other similar program, literally any other similar program, would be better than OO. And if the OO developers would have taken a more critical position concerning frequent changes in the UI perhaps we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

It’s a truly sad time when you try to share your “knowledge” with even more users on the ask.libreoffice.org/en site. As for your final recommendation to read the info found at https://arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html goes, the reason we, the consumers, act like “narcissistic children” is because we want quality in our products and services. I will be the first to admit that consumers are largely idiots when it comes to their combative attitudes towards the providers of products and services, be they on the Internet or in the offline world. I worked as a retail clerk and witnessed first-hand the stupidity of consumers. But there should be no confusion that modern providers of products and services have forgotten basics like quality and owning up to their mistakes.
Freeware authors have responsibilities to their users:

• To make freeware that meets at least some of our needs.
• To provide freeware that does what its description says it does.
• To provide quality freeware so that we won’t have to continually read the documentation and FAQ list.
• To provide quality freeware so we won’t have to ask for new answers to questions already covered in the FAQ list or the documentation.
• To actually understand that you are making a product for consumers and you should provide us with true support.
• To understand that we have every right to ask for program changes
• To not provide freeware so we won’t have to settle for the adage "You only get what you pay for".

The reason we “whine” is because we are not getting the quality freeware that you supposedly provide. And I will most definitely employ my one remedy and stop using OO because it is unstable and I can hardly ever get a straight and useful reply to my questions and comments. Just because you are creating freeware as opposed to commercial software doesn’t mean that it is better than commercial software. And if most people who write freeware actually like computers and programming, and are not watching a clock while feeling exploited by a corporation, are that good why can a product like OO exist? Microsoft's software may be bad, largely written by people who don't want to be doing what they are doing, who are the least expensive programmers the personnel division can find to fill empty positions, who are being exploited and know it. But it works most of the time!

And if the programmers who are actually skilled at programming retire (and maybe write freeware) and don't remain, corporate lackeys that struggle to repair the latest version of Windows, then why is freeware like OO so bad? Furthermore, just because we didn't pay for the software doesn’t mean that we can’t expect satisfaction with the software. The reason the adversarial relationship between some freeware vendors and consumers exists is partly due to the freeware crap that is out there. And when we find it we have EVERY right to “whine” about it and expect that is quality software. And if the freeware authors can’t be held responsible for their users' expectations then who in the hell is responsible? I’m very glad that I didn’t pay a dime for OO because it is not worth even a penny of what I would have paid. It’s amusing that what you think you help those who blindly appreciate the assistance that you provide. The problem is caused by YOUR understanding (or rather YOUR lack of understanding) of AOO’s failings and NOT BY my installation, my PC configuration, or my way of working and/or with my files. It's tough to hear the ugly truth that OO and your “help” most definitely and truly SUCKS THE BIG ONE. You don’t have the remotest clue how to try and help. It’s sad that you think that you are wasting your precious time listening to user’s valid concerns. I don’t have the time or desire to read the Survival Guide or any other documents to realize that OO SUCKS. I have read the help documentation for OO when I needed to but the obvious facts remain that the moderators of this forum are often useless and OO SUCKS.
You keep saying that I need to save my work constantly. I thought about this and I did save my work multiple times that night but still lost ALL of my revisions. And you obviously don’t know squat about these signatures you keep mentioning because I WAS RUNNING OO 4.6.6 and AM USING Windows 10. This PC came with and has NEVER RUN ANY SYSTEM OTHER THAN Windows 10. The fact that you are hanging on to outdated technology like Vista shows that your presumed level of IT expertise is seriously flawed. You say that you understand my frustration and my anger dealing with OOo but if you truly understood users like me you would not blindly defend an unstable relic like OO. As I’ve said, I’m sure that LibreOffice has problems like crashing and losing valuable work but it bound to be better than OO. It won’t take much to do that! In fact, since we’ve started this discourse OO has crashed again thus I find it very hard to believe your claims that OpenOffice does never crash on you. And earlier versions of OpenOffice did the same thing. Although I don’t believe it crashed as much as it does now. My Windows 10 updates itself automatically and I do maintain and clean it up. I also defragment my hard drive. And Norton Lifelock is simply Xfinity’s “version” of Lifelock.

I install all of my programs on my hard drive. I don’t have an external drive. I do believe that OO was deleted when I had to reinstall Windows 10 last year. Don’t worry I’m going to remove all traces of OpenOffice from my drive and my memory. I have used OO since around ‘94 so I’ve used previous versions and they had occasional problems but it has gotten worse with each newer version. I don’t think I’ve even heard of OpenOffice Portable and don’t care to use ANY versions of OO ever again. To sum it all up I have had enough of OO’s problems and certainly, don’t consider it to be a good program anymore. It’s true that nothing is perfect but its ongoing problems have taken their toll on me. I live with, and care for, my elderly mother the whole day and then handle all the finances, household chores, business affairs, grocery shopping, medical issues, etc. for us. On top of that, I have to look for work, go on my walks, handle our severe bug problems, deal with the landlord’s ineptitude, run my mom’s car, deal with any other issues that come up, and find time to just kick back. So it’s no wonder that I am angry and frustrated a lot, particularly when I am simply trying to work on my computer to manage my daily affairs. And a program like OO that I depend on for so many things constantly screws up. I ask for help when I lost all my work the other night but haven’t received any. If I had the money I would most definitely spend it on a better program like Microsoft Office, etc. Sorry but you guys have not convinced me that OO is worth the effort and that I can get true support when I ask. Adios!
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
kingwillard
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: OpenOffice crashes AGAIN and I lost hours of work-HELP!

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:55 pm

AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
User avatar
Hagar Delest
Moderator
 
Posts: 28543
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: France


Return to Writer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests