Center Spacing problem

Discuss the word processor
RyanHon

Center Spacing problem

Post by RyanHon »

Hello,

My project requires me to center space a particular line of text, which I have specified in a new paragraph.
I've done this a few times in other writing projects with no issue, but now, when I center this specific line, it centers most of the content on my page. I've highlighted and centered with no change. I've selected the line itself with no change. I've tried creating new lines to rewrite and center, but no change. This is very aggravating. I'm not sure what has changed or what I need to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove toxic issue icon
OpenOffice 3.1 on windows 10
Regards, Ryan
FJCC

Re: Center Spacing problem

Post by FJCC »

Turn on the menu item View → Nonprinting Characters and make sure there is a paragraph mark, ¶, on each side of the text you want to center.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, make sure the paragraph style for the line you wish to centre has, on its Indents and Spacing tab, zero entered for "First line" and Automatic unchecked. These settings can cause a line to have an offset to the right, which will interfere with the centring.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Centering is a paragraph property, not a line property. Every line in the selected paragraph will be centered. If more than one paragraph is centered when the "Centered" icon is clicked, then the "AutoUpdate" option for the paragraph style has probably been turned on. Right-click the paragraph and select "Edit Paragraph style". On the Paragraph Style dialog, make sure that the "AutoUpdate" box isn't checked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04