How to disable formulas in text document tables

Discuss the word processor
Aether1

How to disable formulas in text document tables

Post by Aether1 »

I never use spreadsheets but I use tables a lot in text documents. I often use basic math symbols ( =, +, etc) in them. I have number format set to "Text" with an "@" symbol (the only option offered) in the box for format code. But when I enter some symbols, particularly the "=" sign, the formula bar pops open and any numbers in the cell disappear, waiting for me to enter a formula.

I do not want OO to assume my table is a spreadsheet. I do not want it to guess at my intent (I've tried to disable every automatic function I can find). When I type a character, I want that character to appear in the cell. In Microsoft documents, formatting cells as "Text" did exactly that (10 years ago, anyhow). But in Writer, that option seems to have no effect at all.

Am I missing something? I've scoured the preferences, toolbars, and every setting I can find, both for this and other actions. But I can't find anything other than the "format as text" option, which doesn't do that.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
macOS Mojave 10.14.3
robleyd

Re: How to disable formulas in text document tables

Post by robleyd »

See Want to turn off formula in tables. Seems the issue has been around a while, although described differently in the Bugzilla entry.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Aether1

Re: How to disable formulas in text document tables

Post by Aether1 »

Thanks. I actually discovered that workaround long ago but was hoping to find a proper solution. But as you point out, it's been around for a while so my hopes are not high.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
macOS Mojave 10.14.3