Not Recognizing First Line for Paragraph Style

Discuss the word processor

Not Recognizing First Line for Paragraph Style

Postby Wenin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am

I'm creating a document that uses the outline structure. The first issue I ran into is that when the auto formatting took over the numbering, it would change the font of the numbering. Rather than fighting formatting of the numbering, I simply hand typed the outline. To get the indents correct, I configured the Indents and spacing of the PAragraph so that Before Text is set to .5 and the First Line set to -.5.

This worked, allowing me to type the numbering, hit Tab and then type a paragraph of text. The paragraph would nicely line up, with only the numbering sticking out on the left.

Then at the end of the document, all of a sudden when I start a new paragraph, the first line of the Paragraph isn't taking on the First Line attributes. It is acting as the second line, not allowing me to type the numbering for it to remain to the left and the paragraph to line up on the right.

How do I get the formatting of paragraphs to be fixed? I've tried typing some random text and setting the formatting to Default. The paragraph remains to the right, with the indent. If I set the indent spacing all to 0, everything lines up on the right... but I still can't get the first line of the paragraph to take on the right formatting.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
Wenin

Re: Not Recognizing First Line for Paragraph Style

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The best is to upload a sample file showing the problem (see: How to attach a document here).
But basically, better configure correctly the Outline Numbering feature to prevent such manual work.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Bill » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Click in a paragraph that is formatted correctly. Click the Format Paintbrush. Click the paragraph that you want to change.
AOO 4.1.6 and LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby keme » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 am

You may also want to revisit your original approach.
In the bullets and numbering dialog, after selecting an outline pattern, see the rightmost tab (probably named "Options" or "Preferences" - I can't access English menus right now, sorry!).
The character style is what governs the font selected for numbering. Set it to None to have numbering in the same font as the rest of your text, or create a new character style to alter the numbering to your liking.
keme
Volunteer

Return to Writer