Basic words missing from dictionary

Discuss the word processor
Antaus

Basic words missing from dictionary

Post by Antaus »

I've been using AOO writer for a number of years know, and there was something I was curious about. This isn't a 'problem' mind you, just a point of curiosity. The spell check dictionary seems to be missing a lot of basic words. As such I'm often adding underlined words to said dictionary. Like 'mathematic' for instance. I was using the term 'mathematic principle' in a recent article I was writing, and when I right clicked to see the spelling correction options, thinking I'd just misspelled it, there was mathematics and mathematical as correction options, but not mathematic. As it turns out it didn't misspell the word, it just wasn't in the dictionary.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator]. Was Simple Question
OpenOffice 4/Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Simple Question

Post by Zizi64 »

OpenOffice 3/Windows 8
The OO.o 3 is a very old version. Please update your signature and/or upgrade your office pack to the recent Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice version.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Simple Question

Post by Zizi64 »

The spell check dictionary seems to be missing a lot of basic words. As such I'm often adding underlined words to said dictionary. Like 'mathematic' for instance.
The words "mathematical" and "mathematics" are present in the English (UK) library of the AOO 4.1.5.

Mathematical principles - is not underlined
Principles of mathematics - is not underlined
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Basic words missing from dictionary

Post by jrkrideau »

In my dialect of English (standard Canadian) mathematic does not exist. The adjectival form of mathematics is mathematical. Mathematics seems to be one of those noun that can only exist in the plural.

Pants and trousers are similar examples.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

According to https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mathematic we get:
Noun
1: Figurative.

2: A member of a group of disciples of Pythagoras who studied his scientific proofs and demonstrations, rather than following his doctrines and precepts unquestioningly. Opposed to acousmatic.

Adjective
Mathematical.
A bit of further searching of the interwebz suggests that mathematic isn't a very common usage; the spell checker in PaleMoon web browser even highlights it as incorrect. As does my AOO Australian dictionary.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Unless you want to write your own dictionary, or you can persuade the person who writes the one you use to add the words you like, you are stuck with what you can download. As my mother always said when I objected to a decision she made: "You can like it or lump it". ;)

You only have to add words once and they are forever there. Search the forum with dictionary to find posts explaining how to hack the added-words file to add words from a list.

Tools > Language > For selection ..., shows what dictionaries you have installed. Make sure they are up to date.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

robleyd wrote:According to https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mathematic we get:
Noun
1: Figurative.

2: A member of a group of disciples of Pythagoras who studied his scientific proofs and demonstrations, rather than following his doctrines and precepts unquestioningly. Opposed to acousmatic.

Adjective
Mathematical.
From that, it looks like it may have been used more commonly in the past but is becoming an archaic usage.

Clearly it conforms to the rules of word formation in English. Oh, so do a lot of the words in Jabberwocky, come to think of it.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I've never personally seen or heard the word "mathematic" used in US English. While writing this reply, the spellcheck in Firefox also underlines it as misspelled.

Edit: It seems that "mathematic" is a rarely used adjective in British English used instead of "mathematical".

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... mathematic
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Antaus

Post by Antaus »

Well, as I mentioned, it's no big deal. All I do is add the odd word to the dictionary, and it solves the problem. That being said though, I didn't realize 'mathematic principle' was an uncommon usage.
OpenOffice 4/Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Antaus wrote:I didn't realize 'mathematic principle' was an uncommon usage.
I trust it's uncommon because it is grammatically incorrect.

See the dictionary definition above. The word "mathematic" is a noun. In the phrase "mathematic principle" mathematic is used as an adjective. The correct adjective is "mathematicAL" giving "mathematical principle".
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

A Dutch dictionary offers "mathematic" as short for "mathematical", with the comment that it's rarely used. It's probably more likely that the spelling "mathematic" in a newly typed document is a typo, missing the s at the end, than that it's the correct short form for "mathematical". I'd much rather not add words to a dictionary that can be typos.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum