[Solved] Finding paragraphs

Discuss the word processor
EricUniqueUsername

[Solved] Finding paragraphs

Post by EricUniqueUsername »

Hello all- New user here. I ran into a gaping hole in the OO help files and landed on the wiki looking for clues.
Tried to post on the discussion page of a documentation page in the wiki (see below), but couldn't because I wasn't a registered user.
Found no guidance or links anywhere inviting me to register. Did find "Help with logging in" link under sign-in dialog, but that leads to another website, mediawiki.org, where I already do have an account, but which tells me nothing about how to create one for the OpenOffice wiki.
Mystifying, exasperating, almost amusing.
This is not my first day on the internet, nor on a wiki, but this site has got the better of me. Any help would be appreciated.
Or, spare me the wiki-ordeal altogether and puzzle me this: The find-and-replace dialog in Writer is not finding paragraphs when I search for them using "$" (sans quotes) as the character.
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Wiki page: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... t_.5Cn_.24
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice wiki: cannot edit, cannot create log-in

Post by RoryOF »

EricUniqueUsername wrote: Or, spare me the wiki-ordeal altogether and puzzle me this: The find-and-replace dialog in Writer is not finding paragraphs when I search for them using "$" (sans quotes) as the character.
Thanks in advance,
On Find and Replace window, drop More Options and select "Regular Expressions".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
EricUniqueUsername

Re: OpenOffice wiki: cannot edit, cannot create log-in

Post by EricUniqueUsername »

Thanks, Rory!
If only the help file reminded us unenlightened that the term "regular expressions" is what applies here.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10