Text wiggles while typing

Discuss the word processor

Text wiggles while typing

Postby billdale » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Hey all,

This is an issue I've seen off and on with several versions of OpenOffice. As I'm typing, the last 2-3 words (regardless of length) I've typed "wiggle," as in the spacing between letters shrinks and grows and their position shifts left and right in minuscule increments with each keystroke. In the past I thought this was a zoom issue, as OpenOffice often opens at 85%, but the issue occurs no matter what zoom.

Unfortunately, there are days that this is not an issue and there are days that it is. I wish I knew the difference between the two, but it's just kind of random. I've noticed it on several different Macs over the course of years. I have all default settings; I don't fidget with the configuration. I've also searched for this issue before but it isn't easily put into words.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
billdale

Re: Text wiggles while typing

Postby Bill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Your signature says OOo 3.1 on Vista. Have you seen this on Vista and Macs?
AOO 4.1.6 and LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Text wiggles while typing

Postby jrkrideau » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:28 am

billdale wrote:Hey all,

This is an issue I've seen off and on with several versions of OpenOffice. As I'm typing, the last 2-3 words (regardless of length) I've typed "wiggle," as in the spacing between letters shrinks and grows and their position shifts left and right in minuscule increments with each keystroke. In the past I thought this was a zoom issue, as OpenOffice often opens at 85%, but the issue occurs no matter what zoom.

Unfortunately, there are days that this is not an issue and there are days that it is. I wish I knew the difference between the two, but it's just kind of random. I've noticed it on several different Macs over the course of years. I have all default settings; I don't fidget with the configuration. I've also searched for this issue before but it isn't easily put into words.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If you are using a proportional font you may be seeing Writer doing its final adjustments. This is particularly likely if you are using a justified format.

I am assuming the
the last 2-3 words (regardless of length
means at the end of a line.
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Return to Writer