Need help on docx password

Discuss the word processor
respider

Need help on docx password

Post by respider »

I switched to OpenOffice recently and pretty happy with it. However, I couldn't open a .docx file and asked me for password, which I have no clue about it. Does OpenOffice has any trick to remove the protection? just curious
Windows 10 OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrProgrammer

Re: Need help on docx password

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
respider wrote:I couldn't open a .docx file and asked me for password, which I have no clue about it. Does OpenOffice has any trick to remove the protection?
No. What would be the point of protecting a document with a password if it is easily circumvented?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Windows 10 OpenOffice 3.1
Please update your signature in this forum and/or upgrade your office suite. The OpenOffice.org 3.1 is an archaic-old version.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

respider wrote:I switched to OpenOffice recently and pretty happy with it. However, I couldn't open a .docx file and asked me for password, which I have no clue about it. Does OpenOffice has any trick to remove the protection? just curious
Breaking encryption on an OpenOffice document seems to be something to leave to the NSA, the GRU or the GCHQ.

You may be lucky that it is a .docx file but MicroSoft has significantly upgraded its encryption over the last few years. I'd suggest googling something like break password .docx and see if there is any useful discussions posted it the last two or three years.

Adverts like this https://www.isumsoft.com/office/remove- ... -file.html suggests there may be some hope.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
respider

Post by respider »

Zizi64 wrote:
Windows 10 OpenOffice 3.1
Please update your signature in this forum and/or upgrade your office suite. The OpenOffice.org 3.1 is an archaic-old version.
now, upgraded to the latest 4.1.4
Breaking encryption on an OpenOffice document seems to be something to leave to the NSA, the GRU or the GCHQ.

You may be lucky that it is a .docx file but MicroSoft has significantly upgraded its encryption over the last few years. I'd suggest googling something like recover password .docx and see if there is any useful discussions posted it the last two or three years.
Tried two of the suggestions from Google search result but the the speed is really low. that might be due to the 128 bit AES
Windows 10 OpenOffice 4.1.4