Selecting Multiple objects

Discuss the word processor
Signal

Selecting Multiple objects

Post by Signal »

H there, I don't seem to be able to select multiple objects in my text document, for example say I have a new text document open as default, In it I add two frames. Why cant I select them both simaltainiously? neither the select tool, shift click, select all or drag select allow me to do this. If I can't select them both, then they can't be grouped etc.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
robleyd

Re: Selecting Multiple objects

Post by robleyd »

Make new document; add two frames and click outside the frames; select all; copy; insert manual page break; click in new page; paste. What happens?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Signal

Post by Signal »

Ah OK, I sucessfully managed to reproduce what you described, this is good, however what seems to be happening with my main text doc is select all is only selecting an empty parragraph beneath the various objects rather than the entire page. no problem I thought I'll do as you suggested only this time after "select all" I hit delete to delete the empty parragraph but no ball, now when I sellect all and copy there's nothing at all going in to the clipboard. I guess this might have something to do with either a layer problem, like some of the frames over lapping, some are moved back behind, others in front. I'll keep investigating.
Last edited by Signal on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Selection of multiple objects is not supported in Writer:

Issue 17860 - Use shift select when selecting multiple picture/drawing objects
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Signal

Post by Signal »

It's only selecting an empty text field behind the frames so it won't copy the three frames to the clipboard only the empty text.
2019-02-16_063048.jpg
This is after I hit escape multiple times. I hit sellect all, copy, new break, paste. . . it just pastes the empty text, not the frames.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Signal

Post by Signal »

Bill wrote:Selection of multiple objects is not supported in Writer:

Issue 17860 - Use shift select when selecting multiple picture/drawing objects
Thanks Bill, it's good to know it wasn't me. but I have managed to copy multiple empty frames using the select all function, however I no longer am able to do so. could it be becasue the frames have text and color?

Please see above.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Signal

Post by Signal »

robleyd wrote:Make new document; add two frames and click outside the frames; select all; copy; insert manual page break; click in new page; paste. What happens?

This was seriously frustraiting and took me over an hour to figure out.

You have to do it specifically in this order: Click on page, Insert Manual Break, Select All, Copy, (Then again Insert Manual Break) Paste! This then gives me two identical pages.

I now have a serious headache.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

You can select and copy multiple Draw objects even if there is only 1 paragraph in the odt. (This is a special case)
select the first object. Then press shift and draw a selection area around all objects.

Besides from that special case it should work to select an object and then shift click others.

Note that Objects have an anchor and are anchored to the text. So if you have a text passage selected only the included anchored objects will get selected with.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html