All my settings got reset

Discuss the word processor
Marscaleb

All my settings got reset

Post by Marscaleb »

Somehow, it seems that all of my settings got wiped. I suspect this happened after my computer crashed the other day.
I opened up OpenOffice Writer, and the first thing it did was prompt me to enter a name to register the program under.

I suspect there is no easy way to revert to all the settings I have made; if they're gone I suspect they're just gone. (But if there is something worth trying, please let me know.) So what I'm really asking for is some help to find out how to change a few settings that are really annoying me, and I can't seem to find where to change them.

First of all, the program is trying to do some sort of auto-complete. There are certain words I start typing and the whole word will appear behind my cursor, highlighted. This is very distracting, especially since these suggestions pop up when I'm tying completely different words. I'd like to turn it off, but also, some of the words that it is suggesting have me really bothered to think that this program is remembering what certain words I might type more frequently than others. I don't want the program to be tracking what words I type the most.

The second thing that's really bugging me is that it is trying to save my documents as a different file type than I usually use. How do I change the default filetype?
robleyd

Re: All my settings got reset

Post by robleyd »

In general those settings are stored in your user profile; it seems your profile may have been corrupted in the crash as AOO asked you to enter your name on startup. This is s symptom of a damaged, or non-existent, user profile.

For auto functions, see [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable

For saving in a different format, or file type, use Save As and use the dropdown list for Filetype in the Save As dialog to select the file type required - see screen capture below.

WARNING. Saving in a format other than the native Open Document Format may lead to formatting issues and other problems. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for reasons not to use foreign formats.
Attachments
save_as1.png
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows XP
I suppose it that was happened not with the OOo 3.3.0 version and not on Windows XP.
Please update your signature in this forum.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

robleyd wrote:For saving in a different format, or file type, use Save As and use the dropdown list for Filetype in the Save As dialog to select the file type required - see screen capture below.
I don't mean just to save in another format, I mean to have another format as the DEFAULT option. When I go to save a file, I want it to always save as particular file type, and I don't want to pick it out of a list, I want it to be the default option.
Zizi64 wrote:Your signature is:
Open Office 3.3.0 on Windows XP
I suppose it that was happened not with the OOo 3.3.0 version and not on Windows XP.
Please update your signature in this forum.
I had no idea that was even a thing here. Okay, I can change it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Settings in /Tools /Options /Load-Save : General tab,; set these on an OO application by application basis under Document type, and adjust other settings on that Window as you require.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FanciFran

Post by FanciFran »

This happened to me. Go to tools then options. Under Writer, open Load Save and make choices. There's also a place where you can specify you always want to load/save in a specific format. I hope I said that right. Really when this happens and the settings get lost I end up going to tools, options and going through all the categories .

I don't know of any way to keep this from happening, but it's annoying. Hope this helps
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10