Captions used for cross reference

Discuss the word processor
Ken Schweim

Captions used for cross reference

Post by Ken Schweim »

This is my first time using OpenOffice and I am impressed! I've written a 54 page instruction manual using WORD and now have it loaded on OpenOffice....no problem.
My problem is referencing different parts of the manual by page number. For example: "Refer to page xx for an exploded view of part 9". I know that I have to add a caption to an image to be able to cross reference to it. The caption requires a "category" which then gets inserted into the list of cross references. The category only says "Illustration 1" or whatever number and that is the way it shows up in the list of cross references. I would like the cross reference to actually say what the image is. I have found that I can change the text on the category and that works fine. However both the category and actual caption appear on the bottom of the image so now I have a duplication.

The questions that I have is how can I get only the actual caption to appear on the image without the category? I have no need for a figure number to appear on the image. Is there a way to get the actual caption to show up in the cross reference list?

Thanks for any help you can provide
Ken
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows 10