[Solved] File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby dimailer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 am

SOLUTION: add {\rtf1 before each block of \unicode characters

Hi folks,

my .rtf file stopped opening in Writer, popup says: "General Input/Output error"

I opened it in WordPad — only 1 page out of 20 is left.

Still, the file weighs 400KB, so I opened it in Notepad only to find 120 pages of text like this:

\u1058\'3f\u1072\'3f\u1084\'3f \u1085\'3f\u1072\'3f \u1075\'3f\u1086\'3f\u1088\'3f\u1110\'3f, \u1085\'3f\u1072\'3f \u1052\'3f\u1072\'3f\u1082\'3f\u1110\'3f\u1074\'3f\u1094\'3f\u1110\'3f, \u1079\'3f\u1072\'3f\u1094\'3f\u1074\'3f\u1110\'3f\u1083\'3f\u1072\'3f \u1082\'3f\u1072\'3f\u1083\'3f\u1080\'3f\u1085\'3f\u1072\'3f

Looks like UTF-16, I tried converting it, but for some reason it converts to Myanmar letter. (The lost text is in Cyrillic).

Do you have any ideas what else can be done?

Thank you.
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10
dimailer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby robleyd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 am

The same question was asked at AskLibreOffice where a discussion is in progress.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia

Re: File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby John_Ha » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Please upload the file so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

Save a sample test file as .rtf. You will see it is a flat ASCII file with characters to do the formatting and readable user-text. It can be opened by Notepad.

Open the file with Notepad (or Notepad++ if Notepad struggles with the large file). You may find some text content.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt. Never save as a .rtf.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7795
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby dimailer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:52 pm

robleyd wrote:The same question was asked at AskLibreOffice where a discussion is in progress.


yes, i was in a crisis, so i broadcast my cry for help

hope i didn't start any turf war
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10
dimailer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby dimailer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm

John_Ha wrote:Please upload the file so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

Save a sample test file as .rtf. You will see it is a flat ASCII file with characters to do the formatting and readable user-text. It can be opened by Notepad.

Open the file with Notepad (or Notepad++ if Notepad struggles with the large file). You may find some text content.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt. Never save as a .rtf.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.



Thank you very much, someone helped me to figure it out.

Will study the odt tutorial. This time I was just helping a humanitarian who is not into computers.
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10
dimailer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: [SOLVED] File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm

It would be better if he used .odt format rather than .rtf - OO does not really like .rtf.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 31436
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: [SOLVED] File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby dimailer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm

RoryOF wrote:It would be better if he used .odt format rather than .rtf - OO does not really like .rtf.


told him
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 10
dimailer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: File corrupt, UTF-16 converts to wrong symbols

Postby robleyd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 am

dimailer wrote:
robleyd wrote:The same question was asked at AskLibreOffice where a discussion is in progress.


yes, i was in a crisis, so i broadcast my cry for help

hope i didn't start any turf war


Not a question of a turf war, rather that it leads to several discussions and a possible waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users in different forums. If we know the question has been cross-posted, there is less likelihood of duplicating information.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia


Return to Writer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests