[Solved] Hidden page added when restarting page numbering?

Discuss the word processor
CrazyFin

[Solved] Hidden page added when restarting page numbering?

Post by CrazyFin »

New to the board! :oops:

Case:
I have for example 3 pages in portrait format and then I insert a manual page break on the last page and change page style to for example "Landscape" and at the same time I set the page numbering to restart from number 1.
Now suddenly my document has 5 pages instead of 4?!
If I just insert a manual page break and change page style to Landscape BUT keep the page numbering then it works fine and the page total count correctly shows as 4.
I did test if the page style change from Default to Landscape was causing the issue so I inserted a manual page break and kept the page style as Default but restarted page numbering with 1 and same issue! Total page count is shown as 5 instead of 4 :roll:

I have searched through this forum for quite long time now for my issue and I have tried many solutions suggested but I am starting to think that this is a bug? I do find MANY threads on page numbering issues and changing page styles but no one has described an issue similar to what I am experiencing.

I have attached two example documents. The first one is where I restart page numbering on the manually inserted page break and the second one is where I just insert a manual page break without restarting page numbering.
Attachments
Open Office Writer - Inserting manual page break and not restarting page numbering shows correct total page count.odt
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Open Office Writer - Inserting manual page break and restarting numbering from 1 again inserts an empty non visible page.odt
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 PRO x64
RoryOF

Re: Hidden page added when restarting page numbering?

Post by RoryOF »

A landscape page is right/left, so inserting a landscape page after an odd page (a right page) can cause an invisible left page to be inserted. Whether this is printed or not depends on settings in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice Writer : Print page, Other, Print automatically inserted blank pages.

You can avoid this phenomenon by editing the Landscape page style to be a left page style, but that may cause confusion in a document which has multiple landscape pages inserted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CrazyFin

Re: Hidden page added when restarting page numbering?

Post by CrazyFin »

Ah wonderful that explains it!

Using the Tools-setting as you described disables that blank page from being printed. Only drawback with this setting is that the total page count is showing wrong number but I can solve that by using cross-reference method for total page count.

My document will have multiple landscape pages but they all will be as appendix pages at the end of the document showing one screenshot from a program on each landscape page so I should be able to use your 2nd suggestion as well by setting the Landscape page to be a left page style.
Tested it now and it works fine.

So both suggested solutions will solve my issuse but different ways and with different "side-effects".
Thanks! :super:
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 PRO x64