[Solved] Printing a large image over multiple pages

Discuss the word processor
scilmeb

[Solved] Printing a large image over multiple pages

Post by scilmeb »

I would like to print a large image that should "spill over" onto 4 8.5"x11" pages, but have not found a way to do this. Can anyone direct me as to how this can be done?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Printing a large image over multiple pages

Post by RoryOF »

(untried) Try setting your page to be 17" x 22" , place your image on it, and then let your printer print "tiled". This setting may not be available for all printers. It may also be best to place your image in Draw rather than Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use an image editor to cut the image into the four pieces and print them separately.

Be sure the image pixel count is good enough to survive the large image size.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for more.

Work in Draw - it has a Distribute on multiple sheets of paper option.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: Work in Draw - it has a Distribute on multiple sheets of paper option.
I knew something had it! 20 years ago (pre my use of OO) I had to print a 10" x 8" photo to be 12 ft high and 9 ft wide , comprised of A4 sheets stuck together - quality didn't matter - it was just for quick and dirty scaling purposes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
scilmeb

Post by scilmeb »

Thanks for the tips. I looked in Draw and could not find the Distribute on Multiple Sheets of Paper option. I checked the Help document and it was not there, either. I wound up saving the .jpg file as a PDF and printing it on multiple pages that way. It is not the way I wanted to do it, so if someone can provide more specific menu help to do it in OpenOffice Draw, I would still like to see it that way.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Format > Page > choose something larger than the paper in your printer.
2. File > Print > OpenOffice Draw.
Clipboard01.gif
IrfanView has Options > Export Image Tiles ..., where you can split an image into any number of tiles.
Splitting an image into 4 images with IrfanView
Splitting an image into 4 images with IrfanView
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
scilmeb

Post by scilmeb »

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!