[Solved] Corrupted File full of ########

Discuss the word processor
simparent

[Solved] Corrupted File full of ########

Post by simparent »

Hello,
My 20 pages term assignment seems to have turned to 20 pages full of hashes ######.
I am aware this has been an issue with recent AOO versions and I haven't found a way to recover my corrupted file.
When I open the file I am asked to choose Filter options ASCII.

Can you help me out?
I can't use the .zip / unzip method to recover .xml data as well. Am I screwed??

Here is the file http://www.mediafire.com/file/ni49nk5vn ... L.odt/file . I would really appreciate if you could try recovering it on your end.

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 3.1
RoryOF

Re: Corrupted File full of ########

Post by RoryOF »

There will be nothing in your file - waste no time in hoping. Use the methods in this tutorial to find older copies of your file
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

This problem may have occurred because of over-hasty power off of your computer or snapping laptop lid shut before the internal buffers of the hard disk drives had written their buffered data to disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
simparent

Post by simparent »

I found an earlier version, only missing the last paragraph. Thanks for the help, I was panicking!
Open Office 3.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please, make regular backups! And when you close OpenOffice, and shut down computer, give 10 or 20 extra seconds before powering off or closing laptop lid to allow time for hard disk drives to flush internally.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Corrupted File full of ########

Post by robleyd »

If you have important documents - and aren't they all? - consider using the Time stamped backup extension.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Corrupted File full of ########

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.