Unable to print

Discuss the word processor
mswaneka

Unable to print

Post by mswaneka »

I have many documents created over several years and now Open Office is refusing to print. No matter which way I try to print I get a box to "Save the file as" with a .xps extension in place by default. This problem has happened since I had a new hard drive put in my computer and downloaded Open Office afterward (a newer version). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it did not help. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it/them.
Open office 4.1.6 and Windows 7.
RoryOF

Re: Unable to print

Post by RoryOF »

First question: have you a printer installed? Can you print to it from any other application?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mswaneka

Post by mswaneka »

Yes, printer is installed and working and I can print from other applications.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may help to remove the printer driver, reboot computer then reinstall the latest printer driver from the manufacturer's site.
mswaneka

Post by mswaneka »

Not sure that's necessary. I can print if I either copy & paste data into new document or recreate the document anew. I just cannot print an old document. This is occurring with both text and spreadsheet documents. I use no other part of Open Office (Database, Drawing, etc.).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may not be able to print because OO thinks you do not "own" the old documents. A quick workaround may be to either open a new blank document and Copy Paste an old document into it, or to Open a new document and /File /Insert an old document.

I have no experience with recent Windows, so cannot suggest anything else.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Check that you have the right printer selected on the Print dialog. You may have the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" selected as the printer. This is a virtual printer in Windows that saves documents in the XPS format.

How to print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer in Windows 7
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, is the printer the same printer as before the new hard drive, or a new printer? OO files can be set to remember the printer used, and the old files might be trying to access an older printer which has now been replace.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

No matter which way I try to print I get a box to "Save the file as"
That is what I would expect if you go File > Save As ..., or click the Save icon.
I can print if I either copy & paste data into new document or recreate the document anew. I just cannot print an old document.
1. Open an old document
2. File > Print.

Do you see your printer?

If you just click the Print icon I think AOO uses the printer you last used to print the document.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mswaneka

Post by mswaneka »

Printer is the same one as before the new hard drive. I will check the printer box the next time I am in there and see what's selected. Thanks to all.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I would still reinstall your printer - it won't hurt.