[Solved] How to Add An Additional Language (Hebrew)

Discuss the word processor
Dapeas

[Solved] How to Add An Additional Language (Hebrew)

Post by Dapeas »

12/11/18: When trying to add a second language to my trusted Open Office I was reminded as to how complicated it was, especially since Hebrew is written right to left.
I finally found my own write-up from a number of months ago in a different thread and thought a dedicated thread would be easier to find in the future.
Below is an updated version with clickable links.

[SOLVED] Re: Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)
Postby Dapeas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 pm
I have spent two full nights trying to figure this out including reading other threads and your posts above that were posted on other threads. I am exhausted with no sleep racing to meet a deadline of writing a document in Hebrew. I found bits and pieces in different posts and document as to what needs to be done. I would like to make it easier for the next guy.

To be able to write in an additional language (ex, Hebrew):
1. Upgrade to OpenOffice 4.1.5 in order to do #2 below. (Uses 300MB, but must have 1GB free-if I understand correctly)
2. Download (Hebrew) Language Pack for OpenOffice (This also allows to write from R to L) at https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
Make sure to choose the language that you want and the correct version 4.1.5, 4.1.6, etc so that the language pack matches EXACTLY the Open Office version you have.
3. Download (Hebrew) dictionary to have spell check.
Scroll down list until you find the language that you want at https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/se ... tags%3A157
4. ADD HEBREW LANGUAGE: Control panel>Change Keyboards and input methods>Change keyboards>(choose Hebrew from dropdown menu above)>Add [You will see Hebrew now listed]
Update 12/11/18: (Windows 10 and Firefox)- After step 2 and 3 above, I did not have to do this step 4. Hebrew automatically appeared in the dropdown menu. I kept English as the
preferred language and just toggled (step 5) to change.
5. Use alt+shift to switch back and forth between languages

Update 7/2/18:
After all my hard work, four days later I was unable to write in Hebrew.
1. I had to reADD the Hebrew language to the control panel (step #4 above) since it somehow disappeared. (I had reinstalled Firefox the previous day...did that erase it?)
2. Of note: Even though Hebrew is now working again, it does not show in the language bar at the bottom of the screen below the document, BUT ALT+SHIFT (or SHIFT+ALT, both work) does change the font to Hebrew! All good to go again.
3. Further, I had to reADD the Hebrew dictionary extension for spell check. (see #3 on list above)
I knew this because the ABC+check mark had disappeared next to the Hebrew language for my CTL (click 'more...': [tools>language>for all text>more] or from bottom language bar: click name of language under document>More...]
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows Vista