Recover a crashed document

Discuss the word processor
prophet_of_troy

Recover a crashed document

Post by prophet_of_troy »

So, I finish a chapter and I'm about to save it when...... my entire app crashes for no reason. Now, it automatically opens everything else I had up, but the story I was actively working on it says can't fix. I lose ten whole pages. Please tell me there is a way to get it back. I know Open Office like to auto save. Otherwise, the harbor will have a new computer to drown- along with my hopes and dreams.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator]. - was CRASH!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows
robleyd

Re: Recover a crashed document

Post by robleyd »

See if the information in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files helps.

If you have important documents, consider installing and frequently using the Time stamped backup extension; or at the very least using Save often.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload the file so that it can be analysed and possibly repaired. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't mess with the file: upload it to Forum or some file sharing site. Also try the methods in the tutorial pointed to be robleyd as soon as possible.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS