Comments buggy when saving as a .doc

Discuss the word processor
MelanieBrooke86

Comments buggy when saving as a .doc

Post by MelanieBrooke86 »

I saw that someone else asked this, but it was answered as "save as a PDF." I'm hoping for an answer to the actual problem.

I need to be able to send Word documents back and forth with comments, and I've always been able to save them just fine until recently. I had not updated anything (unless Windows updated/ruined something again I didn't know about), but after discovering this issue I updated OpenOffice just in case. Still no luck.

When I save a file as a .doc, the comments do something weird. The text from a comment breaks up into multiple boxes, wiping out whatever was there before. I'm struggling to describe it but I can't seem to upload the screenshot to better show what I mean. (I can't seem to make it save smaller than 128KB.) For instance, the first comment will be broken into three parts. The second part takes over the second comment, the third piece replaces the text from the third comment. Then what WAS my second comment starts off replacing the test from my fourth comment. It's very odd.

Running 4.1.6 on Windows 10.
Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you!
Melanie Brooke
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Comments buggy when saving as a .doc

Post by RoryOF »

Send your documents as .odt format. Microsoft Office from 2007 onwards can open that format; if it is not properly supported, that is due to MS implementing only partial support.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MelanieBrooke86

Really? I've seen people have trouble before, but I will find out if they can now, thank you.
Melanie Brooke
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, YOU are not responsible for Ms Office users' inability to drive the program they use. Tell them to read the instructions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you want to send someone a document for reading (not for co-editing), PDF is the document format to go. Every smart phone can display PDF properly. PDF is not made for editing. It is the file format to depict anything printable on any electronic device. Most PDF readers have a tool to add comments (analogue to yellow stickies on paper sheets).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MelanieBrooke86

Thanks, all. I'm going to go ahead and see if they can read OO, or just send as PDF after all.
Melanie Brooke
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I have a vague recollection of similar problems. I think it was when you insert a comment for a selected piece of text and use the Word file format. Workaround was to only insert comments on a specific position (don't select text, just put the cursor in a position to best reflect the content you comment on).

Can't find the report now, and I also can't test it at the moment. Try it and see.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Thanks, all. I'm going to go ahead and see if they can read OO, or just send as PDF after all.
Or you can try the LibreOffice. It has a littlebit higher compatible with the foreign and obsolete file formats like the binary MS .doc format. And it can save into the Strict version of the newer OfficeOpenXML format of the Microsoft (.docx, .xlsx). (Note: the MSOffice handles the Tranditional (not really standardized) version of the its own OOXML fileformat by default.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.