Typing envelopes

Discuss the word processor
mwaterbury

Typing envelopes

Post by mwaterbury »

Need to know where I can find instructions on how to type a 9 1/2 x 4 envelope in Open Office. Have a learning disability, need specifics (e.g., not just "Go to Settings", but where to find 'Settings'.) Thank you.
OpenOffice 3.1 Windows XP
FJCC

Re: Typing envelopes

Post by FJCC »

I think this will work, though I have never printed envelopes, so I could be missing some thing.

Select the menu Format -> Page. A dialog will appear with tabs near the top.
Click on the Page tab.
Set the Format to #10 Envelope. You will have to scroll down through the list of options a fair way to find that.
Set the Orientation to Landscape
You may want to adjust the margins using the boxes at the lower left of the dialog.
Click OK to complete the dialog
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Typing envelopes

Post by John_Ha »

There are many ways of doing envelopes in AOO as you will find if you read the Writer Manual and search for envelope. May I suggest you bookmark the page.

One way is to go Insert > Envelope ..., which creates an envelope size you choose. You can either insert the envelope into your document as in my envelope demonstration.odt file below, or create a separate envelope file. If you insert it, it goes in as a page in your text document.
Insert > Envelope dialogue
Insert > Envelope dialogue
I find it is much easier to create envelope files and use them. I create them as templates (.ott file) because, when you open a template, you effectively take a copy of the template, so you do not change the original template which can be used again next time.

This is my $ Envelope - A4 folded in two.ott envelope file.
Attachments
envelope demonstration.odt
text document with A5 envelope included
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
$ Envelope - A4 folded in two.ott
Template file (ie .OTT) of a envelope for A4 folded in two
(19.45 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.