OpenOffice Documents Not Opening?

Discuss the word processor
BrianHG

OpenOffice Documents Not Opening?

Post by BrianHG »

Killing the OpenOffice task is all nice and dandy, but to do so every single time I want to open any document during the day is absolutely absurd.
What is a better correctly fix the problem allowing me to freely open any new Open Office document after I previously closed any Open Office document earlier during the day?

This problem seems possibly connected as well; Why is it when I have an existing Open Office document open, after minimizing Open Office to the task bar leaving that document open, and in Windows Explorer, open a second separate document, Open Office never opens a new window with the new document on the desktop in a normal manner?
Instead, in a hidden fashion, it opens the new second document invisibly hidden as a tab on the window's task bar.

How to reproduce this associated bug:
--------------------------------------------------------
Open an open office document.
Select 'Close'
Now, minimize the 'Open Office' window.
Open another office document in windows, even the same document will do.
------------------------------------------------------
Open Office will not open. It almost looks like the first bug, however, hidden on the taskbar, if you find and maximize Open Office's window, the document will be there.

HOWEVER, this is even more strange, do not maximize Open office and open in windows a second document. This next document opens and automatically maximizes properly, but the first will still be hidden on the task bar. (Not to mention the first has the wrong preview image when you move the mouse over the taskbar icon until you maximize that window, then shrink it back down to the desktop.)

These bugs happen on my laptop and main desktop PC. The desktop PC has a fresh install of OpenOffice 4.1.3, the laptop has a fresh install of OpenOffice 4.1.5. This bug is reproducible on both versions. Both PCs have Win7pro, 64 bit. I don't have any viruses.
BrianHG.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 with Win7 64bit pro.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Documents Not Opening?

Post by John_Ha »

I have asked the moderators to start a new thread with your post. Please see Survival Guide for the forum where users are asked not to cross-post.

You will presumably appreciate that about 200,000,000 other AOO users don't have this problem so it is a problem unique to your PC, to your installation of Windows or AOO, or to how you are using your PC.

Do the following.

1. Stop AOO
2. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to ...\user_old. Do not omit this step.
3. Uninstall AOO
4. Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html. Install it. If it does not ask for your user details you did not do Step 2.
5. If you want to get back your customisation settings search for the Tutorial on the User Profile.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BrianHG

Post by BrianHG »

Step 1. Stop AOO <<< Done
Step 2. Rename <<< Done
Step 3. Uninstall AOO <<< Done
Step 4. Download AOO <<< Done
NOT DONE DELIBERATELY just in case the bug is here... 5. If you want to get back your customisation settings search for the Tutorial on the User Profile.

Install <<< Done with defaults.
Double click on 'Music_Sync_Application.odt'
Opens the first time welcome screen.
I click next and finish.
Document successfully opened.

Next, I select 'File / Close'.
I now have the Apache OpenOffice blank page with 'Text Document', 'Drawing', 'Spreadsheet'.... startup page.
I click at the underscore at the top right of the window, the '_' to minimize OpenOffice to the task bar.
I now double click on the file 'Music_Sync_Application.odt'' once again.
OpenOffice does not come up, it stays stuck on the task bar.

If I double click on a second new document, that document does open up on the main screen.
BrianHG.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

BrianHG wrote: I now double click on the file 'Music_Sync_Application.odt'' once again.
OpenOffice does not come up, it stays stuck on the task bar.
It looks like you have lost the association between AOO and .odt files.

Start > Control Panel > Default Programs ..., and give AOO all its defaults.
Clipboard01.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BrianHG

Post by BrianHG »

It a fresh virgin install, AOO has all it's defaults. If the .odt wasn't set to AOO, windows would have asked me to select a program to open the file with, or, a different program would have opened the document.

I've done what you asked anyways.

The problem still persists.

Have you tried my steps to see if you recreate the problem?

Open a .odt file by double clicking on it's icon.
Once the document is open in AOO, select 'File / Close'.
Minimize the AOO program. (THAT'S MINIMIZE, NOT QUIT)
Double click on your .odt file once again.

AOO remains hidden, though, it did open the file.
BrianHG.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

BrianHG wrote:Have you tried my steps to see if you recreate the problem?
Yes - it does the same.
BrianHG wrote: AOO remains hidden, though, it did open the file.
Correct - the file is opened and remains minimised. You are giving conflicting instructions to AOO/Windows.

You first tell Windows you want the AOO window to be minimised.

You then tell AOO to open the file.

You now seem to want AOO to un-minimise the window when you open the file. AOO chooses to obey your original minimise instruction and remain minimised.

It's a feature, not a bug. Just accept it and make the one click required to open the file.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

BrianHG

Post by BrianHG »

Ok, problem #2 sort of solved. Now for problem #1, AOO needs to be killed in the task manager because it is frozen after a previous exit.

Here is how to trigger that problem:

1. So you can see it happen open Windows Task Manager, go into processes, and leave that open.

(A) Normal operation test.
2. In windows, double click on a .odt file to open it.
3. Verify in the 'Processes' that 'soffice.bin *32' appeared in the task manager.
4. Click on AOO windows top right (X) to close the window.
5. Make sure 'soffice.bin *32' has vanished. If so, so far so good.

(B) Creating the crash bug:
6. In windows, double click on a .odt file to open it.
7. Verify in the 'Processes' that 'soffice.bin *32' appeared in the task manager.
8. Go into 'Tools/Options/Load-Save/General' make sure the auto save is enabled and set it to 5 minutes.
9. Click OK.
10. Add a few letters to your open document.
11. Wait 7 minutes with AOO's window in the background while using any other app. (IE, you may web browse or use other windows apps.)
12. Close AOO by clicking on it's window's (X) on the top right corner.
13. When prompted, select 'Save' document changes.

Check to see if the 'Processes' that 'soffice.bin *32' is frozen. Check if you can open a new .odt document by double clicking on any document name.

Steps 6 , 10, 11, 12 and 13 may need to be repeated one extra time.
AOO may now freeze on exit if you edit any document and wait long enough for at least 1 auto-save, the exit and save changes.
If the 'soffice.bin *32' remains there, you cannot open a new AOO document unless you first 'End Process'.
BrianHG.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I did the following:

6. In windows, double click on a .odt file to open it.
7. Verify in the 'Processes' that 'soffice.bin *32' appeared in the task manager.
8. Go into 'Tools/Options/Load-Save/General' make sure the auto save is enabled and set it to 5 minutes.
9. Click OK.
10. Add a few letters to your open document.
11. Wait 7 minutes with AOO's window in the background while using any other app. (IE, you may web browse or use other windows apps.)
12. Close AOO by clicking on it's window's (X) on the top right corner. ie the X in the Windows title bar
13. When prompted, select 'Save' document changes.

Check to see if the 'Processes' that 'soffice.bin *32' is frozen. soffice.bin, soffice.exe and swriter.exe all disappear.

Check if you can open a new .odt document by double clicking on any document name. It opens as expected.

Steps 6 , 10, 11, 12 and 13 may need to be repeated one extra time. Steps repeated

AOO may now freeze on exit if you edit any document and wait long enough for at least 1 auto-save, the exit and save changes. Not for me - all works OK as before.
If the 'soffice.bin *32' remains there, you cannot open a new AOO document unless you first 'End Process'.
Correct. Search the forum and you will find numerous posts where soffice.bin prevents AOO starting. It is rare, seemingly user induced, and not reproduceable and hence not resolvable. eg see [Issue] OOo hangs with multiple soffice.exe in Task Manager

Bill
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Documents Not Opening?

Post by Bill »

It has been reported that this problem was fixed two years ago in AOO 4.2.0, but AOO 4.2.0 hasn't been scheduled for release. It wasn't incorporated in AOO 4.1.x because it hadn't been tested and no one has confirmed testing the fix.

Issue 114963 - multiple instances of soffice.exe

I no longer have Windows but I recall that multiple instances of soffice.bin would be opened when printing documents and those multiple instances didn't close properly if the printing was interrupted. That was the only way I ever duplicated the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
dkkundu_in

Post by dkkundu_in »

In my case document (opened with a password) shows a certain page but does not work and then closes. System crashed previously creating a lock file. Backup file is not available as the new version 4.1.6 has been installed. Can it be recovered. Only text will be sufficient. Very important file.

D K Kundu
Open office version 4.1.5 on windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BrianHG

Post by BrianHG »

Hagar Delest wrote:Have you tried to reset your OpenOffice user profile?
I will take a look this weekend, though, I have done 2 fresh installs as per instructed above.
AOO still crashes on 'Exit' around 25% of the time, yet, I cannot figure out what triggers it. I wonder if it is related to enabling the 'Check spelling as you type' feature as I have had to enable it once in the past week for some reason. My old installs always had it on by default.
BrianHG.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A reinstall or a fresh install do not generate a fresh OO user profile. They will pick up the old one; so if there is a problem hidden in the profile the re/fresh install picks up the same problem. One must explicitly delete the old OO user profile.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dkkundu_in

Post by dkkundu_in »

No.. Rather it crashed another document opened with the newly created user. However this time I was more cautious and could get my file from backup location. However previous file could not be recovered as it does not have a backup copy. Please note that the files are password protected and while opening it asks for password and then display a part of the file and then quickly closes with a lock file..

D K Kundu
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My immediate instinct is to suggest that you try with unpassworded files until satisfied that the filehandling and stability are OK. If the problem persists after that determination then we can look further.
dkkundu_in

Post by dkkundu_in »

The point is, the file which has crashed is password protected. How to recover that file? Is there any way to recover the text therein. There are 3 tables with texts.
I feel that the problem is when two files are opened simultaneously.
I upgraded to the latest version 4.1.6 with the hope that it may correct. Also the auto spell check problem still persist which was promised that it will be corrected in the revised version.

D K Kundu
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the passworded file crashed it is almost certainly corrupt beyond repair - corrupt in that it will be unable to open with the password , and in the event that it did so, probably corrupt internally. Your best bet is to try the recovery methods set out in this tutorial
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

But to be honest, I don't hold out much hope.