[Solved] Clipart is not acting right

Discuss the word processor
blessedmamak

[Solved] Clipart is not acting right

Post by blessedmamak »

I installed the latest version of Open Office and began installing my clipart in the gallery. Initially the clipart was fine and easily transferred into my documents but when I close out Open Office and reopen it to resume my work, I get this insert section box when I try to drag the clipart in my document. I tried uploading the clipart again and it does the same thing. it works in the beginning and then if I get out and go back in, I get the insert section box instead of the clipart.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 10.15.53 AM.png
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MAcOS Mojave 10.14.1
Hagar Delest

Re: Clipart is not acting right

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you save in the native ODF? that is .odt (I guess you're working with a text document)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
blessedmamak

Post by blessedmamak »

The clipart is in png format.It seems like all of the clipart I've added to the gallery does this except for images I've manually saved off the web.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please explain how you "installed" and "uploaded" the clipart and "manually saved off the web". I'd guess that you did something different for the images "manually saved off the web".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Adding an image to the Gallery in Chapter 8 of the Writer Manual.

When getting an image from the web, be sure to pass it through an Image Editor (like Irfanview) to strip off any HTML associated with it. Save the image file to your PC. Insert the saved image file.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer, and especially 6 and 13.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
blessedmamak

Post by blessedmamak »

I would purchase the clipart and then download the zip. Once I open the zip I would either drag the images from the folder to the gallery or manually click theme, open the folder with the clip art then add clipart that way. It would transfer over into my documents as clipart at first but once I close Open Office and say open it up the following day, it would not act like clipart at all. Should I reinstall Open Office?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

My testing shows that the Insert Section dialog appears if Writer can't find the image file. Look at the File name box on the dialog. Is the image at that location?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
blessedmamak

Post by blessedmamak »

Bill wrote:My testing shows that the Insert Section dialog appears if Writer can't find the image file. Look at the File name box on the dialog. Is the image at that location?
I think that's it. I initially downloaded the images and then moved the files from my downloads to my documents. When I looked at the location, it had a location of downloads. I'm going to try it and then let you know how it goes. Thank you !! :D
blessedmamak

Post by blessedmamak »

Bill wrote:My testing shows that the Insert Section dialog appears if Writer can't find the image file. Look at the File name box on the dialog. Is the image at that location?
. Thank you so much! :D :D It worked!! It was trying to retrieve the files when I had moved them from their initial transfer point.