Formatting Multiple Alignments within Columns

Discuss the word processor
lexie820

Formatting Multiple Alignments within Columns

Post by lexie820 »

I tried searching for my question, but with no luck. I'll try my best to explain:

I have a simple text document with 2 columns. I am attempting to format the first line of each column with a center alignment, and the rest of the text with a left alignment. I inserted a manual column break at the end of the first column. Whenever I attempt to highlight and change the alignment on only one part of the text, all the rest of the text in the column is also changed.

Help!
OpenOffice v. 4.1.5 - Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Formatting Multiple Alignments within Columns

Post by FJCC »

Without looking at an actual document, it is hard to say what is causing your problem. The attached document has a layout like you want, I think. Take a look at it with the menu item View -> Nonprinting Characters turned on and compare it to your document. Text alignment is a property of a paragraph, so the first line of each column is its own paragraph,
Attachments
TwoColumns.odt
(15.56 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
lexie820

Post by lexie820 »

This is my document I'm attempting to format. I turned on the nonprinting characters, but to me they look the same. Am I missing something obvious?
Attachments
kid schedule.odt
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
OpenOffice v. 4.1.5 - Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Here is a modified version of your document. I did two things:
I inserted a column break just before the heading Weekly Schedule.
I put a paragraph mark, seen as ¶ when nonprinting characters are turned on, just after the heading Weekly Schedule. With the heading now being its own paragraph, it can be centered.

I see you are mostly using line breaks, seen as a left-pointing bent arrow when nonprinting characters are turned on. These are made by typing Shift Enter. These should not be used routinely. Are you using them for a reason or is it just a habit?
I suspect you would have an easier time laying this out using Styles to control the formatting or maybe a table. If you have been struggling with the formatting, please explain what you want to achieve and we can work on it.
Attachments
KidSchedule_fjcc.odt
(11.85 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.