Labels

Discuss the word processor
grayuk

Labels

Post by grayuk »

LibreOffice Writer on Win 7
When using pre-made A4 sheet labels, I complete my design in the first position, I group it all together and save it. Then I copy it ready to paste in the rest of the positions.
However, when I click on the next position, where the Return marker is, (with characters viewable) and try to paste it, sometimes it works fine, but more often it puts it somewhere completely out of the way in different places all the time? Also, if I have positioned the next few correctly, suddenly one of them will just move out of place for no reason.
Likewise, sometimes when I Preview the work, one or two of the pasted images decide to move out of line?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Labels

Post by robleyd »

Search the help -F1- for synchronising;labels and business cards which tells you how to use a single label on all the other labels on the sheet.

Please consider not using all coloured text in your posts. Also please consider updating your signature to reflect the OS and software vesrions you are actually using - How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
grayuk

Post by grayuk »

I tried to Register with:
LibreOffice on Windows 7, but it wouldn't accept it. So I had to lie to get through the Register procedure.
I'm sorry the use of colour offends you. Why is it there if not to use?
Thanks for the Advice. I'll check it out.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I'm sorry the use of colour offends you. Why is it there if not to use?
It doesn't offend me - but I find it a little difficult to read; it may be more of an issue for people who suffer from some degrees of colour blindness.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload a small document file (eg .odt) showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

NB There is no such program as OpenOffice any more. Do you mean Apache OpenOffice? or LibreOffice? or NeoOffice? All are different.

If you mean AOO, please say so. OOo 3.1 is completely obsolete.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
grayuk

Post by grayuk »

Understood about the colour. My apologies. Will stick to black and white.
John. I did put the details at the beginning of the post.
When it happens next I'll see if I can get a post of it.
Would appreciate help on my other posts if poss
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your signature says OpenOffice 3.1 and is what people check. Your post above this post makes no mention of any other software.

You can update it here: How to update your signature
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
grayuk

Post by grayuk »

Okay. That's done.
grayuk

Post by grayuk »

Well, generally no luck. I've opened the Options window and cannot see anything to do with the Syncronising Button. I've also read how many others have trouble finding it too.
I've tried to save a template, as a Template, but it seems to save it somewhere obscure. I've given it a new location to save My Templates, but it ignores my input and just saves where it was before, even though I deleted the original path, it just puts it back!
I might be getting on, but I have been setting type since Hot Metal, to the first Typesetting computers, through many Pagesetting programs to now, so I'm not a beginner with this sort of thing.
This is what I normally do.
1. I open a new Writer page.
2. I open a downloaded Template and put it on top of the page.
3. I design my Artwork to fit the Template.
4. I copy and Paste to the other areas, number, and places, as required.
It's simple and it usually works, but sometimes it doesn't.
I am not talking about Address labels here. I'm making Full Artwork Labels for Marketing.
So unless someone can come up with a simple suggestion to help me out, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The label sheets generated by your office suite consist of precisely positioned frames (one per label) with database fields as placeholders. After you edit the top-left frame, the sync button copies the modified frame across the other frames.

All the downloaded templates I know consist of a table. Typically a table row with three columns looks like this:

|__cell_for_label_content__|space_cell|__cell_for_label_content__|space_cell|__cell_for_label_content__|

When you click anywhere in the table, the tables toolbar pops up.
menu:View>Table Boundaries lets you show the table cells on screen. These lines are not printed.

Put the cursor in one label cell and edit this cell any way you want without changing the cell size.
If you use a data source to fill labels with database content, append a [Next Record] field to the cell content from menu:Insert>Fields>Other... tab:Database
Ctrl+A selects the content of the current cell.
Ctrl+C copies the selection.
Click or tab through the content cells and paste (Ctrl+V).

I would save this work as a template:
menu:File>Templates>Save...
Now you get a new label sheet by calling menu:File>New>FromTemplate (Ctrl+Shift+N) and choosing your label template.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
grayuk

Post by grayuk »

Thank you for your succinct answer and explanation. I was about to give up here.
I will give this a try and get back to you.
By the way, what does the Sync Button look like?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Using Windows 7 and LibreOffice 5.3.x I've put together a step by step guide, using the steps in the Help, on how to create a page of new labels and have them synchronise to the contents of the first label.

1. Choose File - New - Labels to open the Labels dialogue box.
labels_001.png
2. On the Labels tab, under Format, define the label format.
labels_002.png
3. On the Labels tab, under Inscription, you can choose what you want written on the labels.
[This step skipped as I suspect your design may need more than this offers]
4. On the Options tab page, ensure that the Synchronise contents box is selected. If this is selected, a label only has to be entered (on the top left label) and edited once.
labels_003.png
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Continued part 2...

5. As soon as you click on New Document, you will see a small window with the Synchronise Labels button.
labels_004.png
Enter the first label.
labels_005.png
When you click on the Synchronise Labels button, the current individual label is copied to all the other labels on the sheet.
labels_006.png
If you have used some other process to create your labels, you may not have the same options available; if this is the case, perhaps you could describe how you created your label page(s).
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

grayuk wrote:Thank you for your succinct answer and explanation. I was about to give up here.
I will give this a try and get back to you.
By the way, what does the Sync Button look like?
It is impossible to give any help without knowing what you actually did and what you got instead of what you expected to get.
Accidenally, I stumbled upon the word "download" and in my opinion this implies a document with a table. However, nobody knows every downloadable template on the internet. And you did not give us any hyperlink pointing us to that download. If a volunteer on this forum would get a change to download the same template you have downloaded, the problem would become crystal clear without further descriptions.
Are you actually trying to fill a table? Nothing wrong with that. It takes some copy and paste because there is no [Synchronise Labels] button as shown in the above screenshots by robleyd
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

grayuk wrote: I'm sorry the use of colour offends you. Why is it there if not to use?
Thanks for the Advice. I'll check it out.
This is a general remark, not aimed at anyone in particular:

It is not generally realised but approximately 8% of men (1 in 12) and 0.5% of women (1 in 200) suffer from a deficiency in their colour vision - commonly referred to as colour blindness. That is one reason why we advocate that the main body of postings should be in plain black. Also, for uniformity, we suggest that the body text should be in the default font of the forum. The colours and font styles are there to attract attention to specific items, which may need such emphasis.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS