Using Open Office for Academic work.

Discuss the word processor
Draciron

Using Open Office for Academic work.

Post by Draciron »

I am having a whole series of issues and frustrations that are driving me nuts. I have found OO topics for many of these issues but most are obsolete and the menu options and configuration options simply no longer exist.

I use OO on both Mac and Linux. Going back and forth I prefer to use Linux keyboard keystrokes. I set these in Mac OS preferences and almost every app except for OO now uses Ctl V and Ctrl C for copy and paste. I have followed the instructions to change that specifically in OO, but all I've managed to do so far is make it so I cannot use even cmd C & V for copy and paste any more. I'd like to set it for all OO apps rather than going in to each and every one of them.

Another issue I'm having is getting a hard carriage return (Windows style return). When I paste my text into text boxes for class discussions my formatting is trashed. I cannot find a place to change the behavior of the enter key to do a windows style return.

I have changed the default font to Times New Roman 12 pt as specified by academic standards. However I have to set the default format for each and every document and when I paste in I get the formating of whatever I am pasting and it is creating mass chaos that sometimes requires me to just type the thing in manually rather than use paste. The cmd shift V option used to allow me to paste unformated text in but that doesn't seem to work and was a pain to start with. I want the default to be unformated. I might want to save the formatting of something I paste maybe once every five years. Is there a way I can change this behavior in OO?

Is there a way I can set the default text to TImes New Roman and have it stick rather than reverting to Liberation every time I open a new document? I sometimes forget to change the font and have lost points on papers because of this.

I am using Office 4 on Mac OSX Mojave, Linux Ubuntu LTS versions 14-18 (I don't fix things that aint broke).

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Open Office 4 on Mac OSX 10.14, and Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS, 16.04LTS and 14.04 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using Open Office for Academic work.

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum. All you want can be done.
... almost every app except for OO now uses Ctl V and Ctrl C for copy and paste.
This is set in the operating system. Ctrl+C = Copy. Ctrl+V = Paste (because Ctrl+P = print). Do not change this or you will get very confused. Check by Tools (Preferences on Mac?) > Customise > Keyboard wherer Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V should be blank - ie they take the OS values.
Another issue I'm having is getting a hard carriage return (Windows style return).
Press Enter to get a new paragraph. Set View > Non-printing characters to see it - it is a ¶ (pilcrow)
When I paste my text into text boxes for class discussions my formatting is trashed.
Probably because you are pasting text which has line returns (a backwards facing arrow - press SHIFT+Enter to get one) and not new paragraphs ¶ pilcrow. It is good practice to remove all formatting from text before pasting it into AOO and format it properly in AOO. Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted text.
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (17.55 KiB) Viewed 972 times
I have changed the default font to Times New Roman 12 pt as specified by academic standards. However I have to set the default format for each and every document
Change the default template - see [Tutorial] Creating a new default template
Is there a way I can set the default text to TImes New Roman and have it stick rather than reverting to Liberation every time I open a new document? I sometimes forget to change the font and have lost points on papers because of this.
If you are working on different PCs it is essential that you have the same fonts installed on both PCs. I do not think Linux comes with a Times New Roman font. Does MacOS have Liberation font?

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for.

This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on a Windows PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.

Can I suggest that you look at the Writer FAQ and at the Writer Tutorials where all of this is covered in depth.

You will find much useful information in the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

How to set a font as the default:
Menu item Tools - Options, expand the Writer item in the left pane and select the Basic fonts branch. Pick Times New Roman in the first list (and others as required), make sure "only for this document" is not ticked, and click OK.

This works for documents where the style in use for running text (often text body or default) does not have the font explicitly set. If you have already set a default template, you probably need to make the change to paragraph/character styles in the template instead.

Times New Roman on Mac OS-X:
It is usually preinstalled, but "disabled". This means that you find it in the font list, but the operating system (not Writer) will silently substitute it. You need to enable it, using the fontbook app if my memory serves me right. I don't remember the exact steps.

Times New Roman on Linux:
I believe none of the Ubuntu distributions come with Times New Roman installed by default. Go to the installer and search for "Microsoft". There should be a MS font package available from the default repository.

The rest:
The "windows style return" is the same regardless of platform. Press enter and you will enter a paragraph break.

If you need same spacing between paragraphs as you have between lines within a paragraph, you should adjust the paragraph spacing for the text body style.

If you need a line break within a paragraph, you can use shift+enter. This will not add paragraph spacing, and will also structurally keep the lines together as one paragraph. Do not use line breaks instead of paragraph breaks. Writer currently does not support paragraphs longer than 64k characters in the Windows version, and I believe this may also be the case on other platforms. If so, it may clip your text and ditch your work when you have written thirty-odd pages.

For academic work you will also need a citation manager. If you haven't done so already, take a look at Zotero.

As for the cut/paste keys, I suggest you leave it at the default on both systems, get used to the difference, and just accept that sometimes you hit the wrong combo. Messing with system level keyboard combinations is rarely fruitful.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

keme wrote:[
Times New Roman on Linux:
I believe none of the Ubuntu distributions come with Times New Roman installed by default. Go to the installer and search for "Microsoft". There should be a MS font package available from the default repository.
The Tinos font installed by default on must linux distros is almost identical to Times New Roman, and gives the same spacings. I doubt anyone will see any difference.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS