[Solved] Can I save from .rtf back to .odt without issue?

Discuss the word processor
thatoneguy

[Solved] Can I save from .rtf back to .odt without issue?

Post by thatoneguy »

Hi - I was trying to save a different version of my book (which includes images) into a text file.

Without thinking clearly, I did SAVE AS and converted it to .rtf

Can I just do SAVE AS and convert back to .odt without issue? Or have I somehow changed the file?

Just concerned because I am about to upload the file to Amazon and print a bunch of my books with it.

thanks,
BH
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4 on Mac OS X Yosemite
FJCC

Re: Can I save from .rtf back to .odt without issue?

Post by FJCC »

However the file looks when it is open in Writer will be faithfully saved in the odt format. If you save the file as rtf, close it in Writer and then open it again, the formatting may be different because features may be lost during the save process. So, review the file carefully in Writer and then save it as as an odt.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

thanks much!
OpenOffice 4 on Mac OS X Yosemite
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
Attachments
Various files
Various files
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.