Word Documents Files created over the years are gone!

Discuss the word processor
schanteuse1

Word Documents Files created over the years are gone!

Post by schanteuse1 »

I have created many word document files over the years. They are lyrics with guitar chords above the lyrics, with nice readable big font, chords dark red, instructions per capoing and strumming. I went to print up a topical Halloween song (Monster Mash). I couldn't find it! I started looking for many other files and found that all but the most recent were disappeared. I don't delete things. Where did these files go? Can I get them Back? What's going on here! Any suggestions? I'm talking a lot of documents.
Thanks anyone.
Open Office 4.1.2
RoryOF

Re: Word Documents Files created over the years are gone!

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not touch any existing files on your computer; if such files are missing, it may be because your operating system (Windows?) has restored your computer to an earlier state, before these files were written, or perhaps you have installed a new version of an operating system (a linux or Windows upgrade?) and reformatted your hard drive in the process.

Any major upgrade of OpenOffice can delete its Recent Documents list: this is merely a list of the most recent files used by OpenOffice, a list of shortcuts to those files. If that list is missing, the files are still in their original location on the hard disk and will reappear inividually on that list as they are opened by OO's /File /Open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you've been creating files for years, then you should have been backing up those files. If you don't make backups, eventually the hard drive will fail and you will lose everything.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It will help us to help you if you update your signature to show your operating system and version - e.g. Windows 10, MacOSX High Sierra - as the answers to your problem(s) may vary depending on your OS.
looking for many other files and found that all but the most recent were disappeared
Exactly how were you looking for these files - using a particular tool?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

They are almost certainly still there.

1. Start > type *.od? in the Search box (or *.doc if you have been saving as .doc files). click Show more results.

Bingo! That shows every AOO or every .doc file on your PC.

2. Assume you have a file and you know it has the word zebra in it. Start > type zebra in the Search box. click Show more results. That finds all files containing the word zebra.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LilZebra

Post by LilZebra »

Did you recently update your Windows 10?

Last week Microsoft pulled out of an update for Windows 10 where the buggy update hid or deleted documents, photos in the users \My Documents folder.

If this is the case, you may have to contact Microsoft in order to get your files back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-upgrade

https://news.softpedia.com/anews/how-to ... 3091.shtml
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update may delete user files. If this has happened to you then all your user files, photos, music etc; and not only your text files as you report, will have been removed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.