[Issue] Drop Caps Disappearing (not saving)

Discuss the word processor
thatoneguy

[Issue] Drop Caps Disappearing (not saving)

Post by thatoneguy »

HIYA - I'm trying to do a book layout, and I followed instructions I found to do "Dropcaps" in a different font to start each chapter. They work fine and look great, but each time I save/close/reopen the document, the font I chose is gone and my drop caps have gone back to the text font. Any thoughts???
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged issue
OpenOffice 4 on Mac OS X Yosemite
robleyd

Re: Drop Caps Disappearing (not saving)

Post by robleyd »

I assume you are using Writer. Are you saving the document in native .odt format, or in some other, foreign, format?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

yes - .odt
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

similar topics:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90861
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45221

Can you upload a small sample file here in ODF format?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Does "drop caps disappearing" mean the same thing as "drop caps have gone back to the test font"? To me those are two different problems.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

yes - same. Sorry for the poor choice of words. Drop caps gone back to text font is the issue.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you try to duplicate the problem with a sample file? Without a sample file, we have no way of knowing what settings you used.
YODA

Post by YODA »

Text is what you are writing. Test is the experiment you are running. Are you using the same file for Drop Caps as originally?
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that you need to apply a character style (such style with the appropriate font required) to the first character of the paragraphs before applying the Drop Cap.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Hiya - OK, I seem to have found a fix. I'm not sure if I've discovered a bug or not. Another piece of info that may or may not be relevant is that I imported a font that does not come with OpenOffice to use as my drop cap font.

I've attached a sample page which replicates the problem. I followed the instructions from here http://news.mrdwab.com/post/drop-caps/ to create a "text body drop cap" style. Then, put the cursor before the character I need changed, go to Format > Paragraph > Drop Caps > and change the Character Style to "Drop Caps."

It would then show me that character in the drop cap style (a font called Griffy). But when I saved the document, closed it, and reopened it, the Griffy font disappeared.

The SOLUTION I found was that I had to ADDITIONALLY highlight the character, choose the Griffy font on the standard editing tool drop down. Then I could close the document and reopen it with the Griffy font on my Drop Cap.

Anywho - thanks for your time
Attachments
The Vicarage Mouse TEST.odt
Test page which replicates the problem
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A character style is applied only to the highlighted text. You seem to have arrived at the method I suggested.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I don't doubt it - I'm not sure why it displays as such but won't save as such though?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The problem is happening because the drop caps weren't defined in the paragraph style but were defined as direct formatting of the paragraph. There is a bug in AOO that causes loss of the character style for the drop caps when the setting isn't put in the paragraph style.

Issue 59059 - Drop Cap Style Setting Not Saved?

The style that is applied to the first paragraph should be applied only to the first paragraph, but the "Next Style" setting in the style is causing the same style to be applied to all paragraphs.

I've attached a modified copy of the sample file where I moved the drop cap settings to the paragraph style, removed the direct formatting and changed the "Next Style" setting.
The Vicarage Mouse TEST (copy).odt
(15.45 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

thatoneguy wrote:I don't doubt it - I'm not sure why it displays as such but won't save as such though?
Actually the character style setting is being saved, but it is lost when the document is opened with AOO. This can be proved by saving the document with the setting in AOO, then opening the document with LO. The bug has been fixed in LO and the setting is not lost when the document is opened with LO.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Go TEAM!

thanks