[Solved] Insert texts from multiple clipboards using shortc

Discuss the word processor
yangogef

[Solved] Insert texts from multiple clipboards using shortc

Post by yangogef »

I am using Open Office 4.1 on a Windows 10 tower PC to do word processing. I dont suspect any hardware issues.

This new user is unable to determine the correct combination of the myriad of 'functions' and 'categories' in the 'tools/customise/keyboard' menu, to correctly assign a canned paragraph to a keystroke within a document being created.

I wish to program multiple textual paragraphs into documents using multiple shortcut keys, to reduce typing loads.

When i choose category = 'insert' and function = 'comment', it asks for a .cfg file but there seems to be no option to create one

Perhaps there is a reference to this procedure sequence, to be found somewhere other than in the help files or youtube?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Restore title to make seaching easier
OpenOffice 4.1 on windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: inserting texts from multiple clipboards using shortcut

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have yo utried the AutoText feature? See the AOO help. Sometopics in this forum also if needed.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Inserting texts from multiple clipboards using shortcut

Post by John_Ha »

You can find all you need to know in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual - see Using AutoText in Chapter 3. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Also see AutoHotKey which works in any application. You assign a few characters to text and when you type the few characters, the text it typed. So, for example, when I type "zzsol" I get:

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: Inserting texts from multiple clipboards using shortcut

Post by RoryOF »

Be advised that OpenOffice can be extremely sensitive (read: may crash) to applications which touch the clipboard. It may be that use of such a muiltilayered clipboard application will cause OO to become unstable.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS