How do I set up tables and forms for photos

Discuss the word processor
Erl_J.

How do I set up tables and forms for photos

Post by Erl_J. »

Aloha rvguy and MTP. . .

Is this thread still active...? I have some queries about photos and base creation of my own...
This thread is the closest I've found...
I'll start a new thread IF no answers in a day or two...
 Edit: Split from this topic 
WIN 10; Apache Open Office 4.1.5 (64 bit)
"Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha y'all..."

Until that time. . . Erl J.
robleyd

Re: How do I set up tables and forms for photos

Post by robleyd »

You now have a new topic; please feel free to ask your questions. If you haven't already seen it, you may find the Forum Survival guide useful reading.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Erl_J.

Post by Erl_J. »

Thank you, David...
I'll go read the guide and get back here to pose my quandary ...
I'm very energized and enthused to find this spot on the vastness of the Internet...
Until that time . . .
"Born on Valley Isle,
Aloha y'all..."

Erl_J.

Post by Erl_J. »

Aloha y'all. . .
I am a long-time ( >a dozen years or so ) user of OpenOffice - primarily Text/Presentation with a bit of Spreadsheet thrown in from time to time...
This attempt is my first with Base.
Situation:
I have over a two dozen-hundred photos (>2400) taken this past summer of family and friends through a reunion in California; 6 weeks on Maui; and 6 weeks on the road in our RV (recreational vehicle) covering almost 16,000 miles of the United States highway system. I intend to catalog them into folders according to the parents (generation before mine) tracing back to the first arrivals to Maui back in 1884. I want to ID every person in every photograph included in a distribution DVD. I then want to build a Base in order to locate each member of the family as well as every photo in which their image exists. I do NOT intend to forward the database on the DVD.
I DO want to use the Base to ID every family member and create reports identifying every person at the reunion and link the individual's name to every image in which their likeness appears...
I then want to create a link from the report (distributed on a DVD) to the folder and specific image to which that link points (also included on the same DVD).
Is that sort of thing even possible?

Question:
I have watched The Michigan Tutor videos and others about building the Base document and linking tables with Primary and Foreign (single and multiple) and believe I'm ready to get started.
My only unknown factor at this point, which is still hidden in the darkness at the end of this long, long tunnel, is once the Base is complete and I have all the data, how do I distribute the final product in an easy to use version that will NOT require any Base knowledge or understanding - each recipient opens a text document (probably a pdf), find themselves/children in the long list, click on any link for an image in which they appear, and have the image pop-up.

I also see that David put me over in the Writer forum... which makes more sense the more I think about it... thanks David.
I do NOT need any complete solutions, just a nudge or two in the right direction - I can do the searching, reading, and building on my own... (wink)
I certainly do appreciate any help, guidance, suggestions, recommendations, or links than any of you think will be helpful to me in my quest... (grin)

Until that time...
"Born on Valley Isle,
Aloha y'all..."