[Solved] Writer image as background, now can't edit text

Discuss the word processor
Jaekaido

[Solved] Writer image as background, now can't edit text

Post by Jaekaido »

I have some text that I wrote and I then put in the image through insert>picture>from file. I selected the image, positioned it to the upper left corner adjusted the size to fill the page. Right clicked the image wrap>wrap through. Then right clicked again wrap>in background. Now I can't edit the text. Did I do something wrong or am I going to have to put the image background in last?
Last edited by Jaekaido on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice version 4.1.4
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Writer 4.1.4 image as background, now can't edit text

Post by John_Ha »

Put in some text before you add the image on top of it - don't leave it anchored to an empty paragraph. Be sure the image is not selected and you can then edit, add or delete the text.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer. Be sure to read about the anchor and wrap options.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
image.odt
(14.48 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Text can't be edited while the image is selected. Try hitting the Esc key to deselect the image.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Jaekaido

Post by Jaekaido »

so far the only way i am able to make it look right is to go format>page>background>image>graphic>select picture. Then format>page set the margins to 0. then format>borders set to to distance needed. so far that is my solution but it still leaves a white edge, though very small, around the image i will take a screen shot and show you.
OpenOffice version 4.1.4
Windows 10
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

As Bill posted you can work the way you described first. To deselect the image press escape key. Then move the cursor around with your keyboard instead the mouse.
A quick way to get the cursor placed on different lines on a page that is blocked by an image is to click on the grey area left or right of the page.

edit: when the image is deselected and the cursor is on the text then it IS also possible to use the mouse.
Last edited by musikai on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Jaekaido wrote:so far the only way i am able to make it look right is to go format>page>background>image>graphic>select picture. Then format>page set the margins to 0. then format>borders set to to distance needed. so far that is my solution but it still leaves a white edge, though very small, around the image i will take a screen shot and show you.
Try reading the posts where users are attempting to help you.

Try downloading the file I uploaded.

You might even, as a desperate last step where all else fails, try reading the manual - have a look at Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.