[Solved] Space to following line added when italics

Discuss the word processor
EinarFlydal

[Solved] Space to following line added when italics

Post by EinarFlydal »

A strange problem has occurred in my manuscript:
As I change a word from Normal to Italics, a distance of about one line shift is added to the next line of text within the same paragraph. See added screen captures.
When I change back to Normal, the spacing is changed back to normal as well.

I have searched through Styles and Format Paragraph without finding any cause. I have reformatted the paragraph to Standard for the style used, without success.

Any hint as to how this may be fixed, would be appreciated!

Einar
Attachments
Skjermdump-28.09.2018 , 07.32.22.png
Last edited by EinarFlydal on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows10
Hagar Delest

Re: Space to following line added when word formatted to ita

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload an extract of your file showing the problem?
Have you tried to change the font?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
EinarFlydal

Post by EinarFlydal »

Yes, it works with a different font, but this is a book manuscript, so the fonts are chosen.
It works to decrease the size of the font to 11 in stead of 12 points.
The problem comes some times, not in all text, although the styles seem to be identical.
The file size with pics is 44 MB.
When making an tine exerpt for you og just 25 kB, the problem disappeared from the exerpt. Hence, there is no file to attach you where you can see, but I attatch it anyhow.
Would be happy if you could help!
See attachment.

E
Attachments
Regnbuen-exerpt 3 for test.odt
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I don't see the problem on my Windows 10 system.
italic.JPG
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Display is correct also for me on my Windows 7 system.

Have you tried to hit Ctrl+Shift+R to refresh the screen?
I think I remember a similar topic some time ago but haven't managed to find it yet.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

We cannot help much as we do not have the Sabon MT Pro font you are using. It is almost certainly a word spill problem where the italic text is slightly longer and causes a spill.

Switch on hidden characters by View > Non printing characters ..., and upload a screen shot.

Also, examination of content.xml shows that the sentence starts with Style P9 before "enfant terrible" and continues with Style T3 for the " ga " after "enfant terrible", and then (I think) continues with P9. I therefore suggest you remove all formatting from the entire paragraph (or indeed the entire document) and reapply the formatting. It may not be important but there are two spaces before "enfant".
Attachments
Seleceted extracts from content.xml
Seleceted extracts from content.xml
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It looks like the document has been through a few transitions in the "Microsoft Office realm". You may have opened it in Word, or saved it as RTF/doc from Writer. Unusual content (zero-heigth frames, possibly other objects I have not discovered yet) and autogenerated styles (~1000 individual character styles) have arisen from this.

The Apache OpenOffice Writer does not handle this situation well. In particular, I have seen issues with MS Office objects in conjunction with justified paragraph alignment (block alignment) which you are using.

Things to try:
Copy the entire content, start a new empty document and "paste special" (ctrl+shift+V) as unformatted text. You would have to reapply heading styles and set up page formatting from scratch.
Use LibreOffice Writer, which has better support for the Microsoft file formats, and also seems to handle the transition to/from MS Word formats better.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You have used "Sabon MT Pro" font at the italic formatted words in the sample document. I have not such font, therefore the AOO Writer substitutes the font with an existing one, ant it appeared without any problem - when I open the attached document.

Try to use a "less exotic" font for the italic formatting.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Sabon, and also its "mother font" Garamond, are quite commonly used for books. I would not classify them as "exotic". They are not free, nor are they bundled with software that I know of, so they are not found on every computer out there. This may be the reason why they are conceived as unusual.

Font substitution is sometimes causing issues. From the pictures it looks like mr. Flydal has the Sabon font installed, but the low resolution may have deceived me.

Submitting a file back and forth between author, proofreader and printer (probably using other software) may have spawned the "noise" I mentioned previously, which may cause trouble for AOo Writer. Did you try LibreOffice?
EinarFlydal

Post by EinarFlydal »

FCC, Hagar Delest, Keme and Zizi64,
sorry for not having followed up on your kind help!
Somehow I solved the issue, I do not know anymore how. The text went into print and the book is now out since weeks.

I hope you did not get offended for my lack of response to your help, as I am now posting a new and intriguing issue - see separate post.
Einar