Sending email from Writer

Discuss the word processor
irene.oman

Sending email from Writer

Post by irene.oman »

I keep receiving this error:
<class 'smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused'>: (450, 'Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable', u'irene.oman@yahoo.com'), traceback follows
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\python-core-2.7.6\lib\smtplib.py:724 in function sendmail() [raise SMTPSenderRefused(code, resp, from_addr)]
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\mailmerge.py:267 in function sendMailMessage() [self.server.sendmail(sendermail, truerecipients, msg.as_string())]

is there incorrect setting somewhere?????

Ioman
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 8
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: sending email

Post by thomasjk »

AOO does not work with web based email services such as Yahoo and Gmail. You need an email client such as Thunderbird.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
robleyd

Re: sending email

Post by robleyd »

That message suggests that OpenOffice has sent the email but the message has been rejected by the receiving end with the error
450, 'Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable
Error code 450 means the requested command failed because the user’s mailbox was unavailable (such as being full).

You don't say how you are sending mail; I suspect you may be using a mail merge and have configured an outgoing mail server in Tools | Options | OpenOffice Writer | Mail Merger Email. Check with the service provider that your settings are correct there.

If, as seems the case, you are the recipient, check your mailbox is not full.

If you are using a different service provider to send and receive mail, it may be that the receiving service has blacklisted the sending service for whatever reason.

If you are not using mail merge as described above, tell us how you are trying to send the mail and what email client Windows is configured to use as default.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
irene.oman

Re: Sending email from Writer

Post by irene.oman »

To thomasjk

when you state that AOO will not work with Yahoo does that mean I will be unable to send through Yahoo and the recipients with Yahoo email addresses will be unable to receive email from me?
irene.oman

Post by irene.oman »

To robleyd

yes I did use the mail merge steps you listed, both mail boxes are empty, I have Yahoo email address and so does the recipient I used the same settings that Outlook uses. I was under the impression that Open Office was "Just like" Microsoft Office, not so. Maybe Open Office is not what I should use and I should go back to Microsoft Office at least that program works.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have Yahoo email address and so does the recipient I used the same settings that Outlook uses.
The Outlook is not a real Email client software. (There was an older real mail client software named Outlook Express: that worked with OpenOffice.

The email services (such as Yahoo and Gmail) are not email client softwares.

The Thunderbird is a real Email client software. It can handle more than one mail services an more than one incoming and outgoing mail addresses.

How it works:
The AOO can send the created document to a real mail client software (like the Thunderbird), and the mail client software can send the mail to the desired person/address. We are using the thunderbird in my workplace since 10-15 years without larger problems. There was some smaller problems when we changed the PC-s, or the operating systems but these problems was related to level of our knowledge...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
quondman

Post by quondman »

Can someone please confirm if Mail merge emails actually works with Thunderbird ? I keep getting this error

X Find outgoing mail server Failed
Apache Open Office 4.1.6 running Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you are trying to send form letters as e-mail messages, OpenOffice uses an external email server for sending; you need to tell OpenOffice the appropriate information for your mail service in Tools | Options | OpenOffice Writer | Mail Merge Email.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers