Font outside page border

Discuss the word processor
AaronMC

Font outside page border

Post by AaronMC »

Hi there.

I tried a search on the forum to no avail, so, here's the question.

Attached you can find a page sample of the issue I encountered this very day for the first time with a font (Rockwell), even though I have been using it for years withtout problems.

As you can see, scrolling through the page up and down the letters go out of the page borders, or simply appear broken.
When I change the font to Cambria, the text doesn't show anything wrong.

Notes:

1) the text is copy/pasted from a PDF;

2) the text is intentionally big (size 18), and must be so for editorial reasons.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Font issue.odt
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Openoffice 4.1.4
Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Font outside page border

Post by Zizi64 »

I have not "Rockwell" font.
Nobody can see the issue in your sample document, when he/she have not such font in his/her operating system.

Try to embed the font into the document, and upload it again. And/or upload a screenshot image here.

I suggest you to install and use the TestFonts extension. It can notify you about the missing fonts.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As Zizi64 says, without the font in question we cannot check.

Does the problem occur when scrolling and then the display normalise when you cease scrolling and let the display rest for a moment or two? If so, it is probably a driver or computer speed problem. It is also possible that a different version of the same font may not show the problem.

What is your screen resolution?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I have the Rockwell font, and can see the issue clearly.

Character width may be given in several ways in a font file. See this article from Microsoft. I see similar issues sometimes, and invariably it is connected to a font bundled with a Microsoft product, used in OpenOffice. Other fonts do not cause problems, and with other software (LibreOffice, WPS Office, WordPad) the issue does not exist.

Suggested solution: Install LibreOffice and use LO-Writer instead.
It is possible to have OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed side by side, if for some reason you prefer OpenOffice. I do, perhaps only by habit...

I note that with the Rockwell fonts, cursor jumps do not go precisely between the characters, and with "view nonprinting characters" enabled the space dots are invariably off center.

With Rockwell, it seems that the issue is only apparent when paragraph is "Justified" (block aligned, to left and right margins). Left aligned paragraphs look OK. So, Writer does fine until it has to calculate alternate space width for each row. It may be that Microsoft strips down the fonts so they only contain information which MS applications need, or perhaps Writer is at fault, confusing ABC-width and advance width. Given that it only happens in OpenOffice, the latter is perhaps more likely.
AaronMC

Post by AaronMC »

I'm sorry, I forgot to upload the font.

It's attached to this post.
keme wrote:I have the Rockwell font, and can see the issue clearly.

Character width may be given in several ways in a font file. See this article from Microsoft. I see similar issues sometimes, and invariably it is connected to a font bundled with a Microsoft product, used in OpenOffice. Other fonts do not cause problems, and with other software (LibreOffice, WPS Office, WordPad) the issue does not exist.
If this is correct, then I wonder why the issue never occured before, since I have been using the rockwell font for years now.
Attachments
ROCK.rar
(43.17 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Openoffice 4.1.4
Windows 11
Meowlathotep

Post by Meowlathotep »

Hmn, my friend, this is a pretty strange problem. My first thought was that it was some margin thing, but you've had no problems with Rockwell for years?
Anyway, can you confirm something for me.

This... Is closer to what you want, right?
tDITEcO - Imgur.png
tDITEcO - Imgur.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 2 times

To achieve this, after '... REQUISITI...' I used an enter-break once, then backspaced. For whatever reason, the spacing corrects itself and looks much more legible like that.
I'm thinking that, while we're figuring out WHY Rockwell is being difficult, it should help you during your work, assuming the project is time-sensitive. I'll fool around with this and get back to you if I figure out more.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached image, since Imgur link will break -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My first thought was that it was some margin thing, but you've had no problems with Rockwell for years?
1. Did you used the font (without problems) with same version of the office suite?

2.: Is the rockwell font is a part of your operating system?
If the answer is "yes", then maybe the op. sys. was updated in the last times, and the font file was changed to an another version.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

AaronMC wrote:...
keme wrote:I have the Rockwell font, and can see the issue clearly.
[...]
Other fonts do not cause problems, and with other software (LibreOffice, WPS Office, WordPad) the issue does not exist.
If this is correct, then I wonder why the issue never occured before, since I have been using the rockwell font for years now.
Have you also used it with paragraph alignment "Justified" (block aligned, so the text body has a straight edge both left and right) for years? That is the only situation where Writer overrides the auto-advance placement of glyphs, and also the only situation where the problem shows up for me.

Note that it is not unheard of that these things show up randomly, and just before it went bad it was all good ;-)

I have tested on computers with older versions of Rockwell fonts installed, and Writer sometimes "goes overboard" with text placement. This is consistently inconsistent. Scroll up and you see one layout, scroll down and it is different, with no editing in between. It looks like Writer alternates randomly between a good rendering engine and a "draft mode".
AaronMC

Post by AaronMC »

Meowlathotep wrote:This... Is closer to what you want, right?

To achieve this, after '... REQUISITI...' I used an enter-break once, then backspaced. For whatever reason, the spacing corrects itself and looks much more legible like that.
I'm thinking that, while we're figuring out WHY Rockwell is being difficult, it should help you during your work, assuming the project is time-sensitive. I'll fool around with this and get back to you if I figure out more.
It is exactly what I need.

I'm going to try your method for each occurence. Hope it works!
Zizi64 wrote:1. Did you used the font (without problems) with same version of the office suite?

2.: Is the rockwell font is a part of your operating system?
If the answer is "yes", then maybe the op. sys. was updated in the last times, and the font file was changed to an another version.
1) I used it with the same, actual version of the office suite, and with older versions too.

2) No, Rockwell is not part of my operation system (i.e., Windows), as far as I know.
keme wrote:
AaronMC wrote:...
keme wrote:Have you also used it with paragraph alignment "Justified" [/i]
Yes, I always use "justified" alignment.

I'm attaching another file, with the upper part of text copy/pasted from and older part of one of my files, where Rockwell didn't show any issue, and below a text added a few days ago.
If I just paste the upper (old) part in a new file, nothing wrong happens.

When I add the recent/problematic bit, the entire text starts to exhibit the anomalies at hand.
Attachments
Before and after Rockwell.odt
(20.73 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Openoffice 4.1.4
Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just installed the attached font in my Windows 7 op. sys, and then tried to open the last attached file with my Openoffice 4.1.5 portable verion. The document appeared as the Pic_1 shows it.
Pic_1.png
Then I have deleted all of the direct formatting properties (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-M), and I have formatted by a modified Default paragraph style: Justified, Times New Roman, 18 pts. Here is that state:
Pic_2.png
My opinion: the problem is located somewhere in the structure of the document, but not in a specific Font.