[SOLVED] Page numbers and count not appearing with actual n

Discuss the word processor
artc12

[SOLVED] Page numbers and count not appearing with actual n

Post by artc12 »

September 20, 2018: I have had Open Office 4.1.2. for several years now, and ordinarily, it works fine. However, recently, in my default .odt file, whenever I want to add the page number and the page count fields to a footer, instead of the actual numbers, I get written text saying “Page numbers” instead of the actual number, and “Statistics” instead of the actual page count. How come? And what can I do about it?. I am attaching a PDF which shows the problem.

(Incidentally, when I convert an .odt file to PDF, the page numbers and counts mysteriously appear.) However, I want them to appear in the .odt file itself, so I don't always have to convert to PDF just to see them.
_____1_____.png
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.2
Installed on Windows 7 operating system
Hagar Delest

Re: page numbers and count not appearing with actual numbers

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Toggle the menu item View -> Field Names.
I've changed your PDF to a simple screenshot in your post to avoid downloading the PDF (of the screenshot).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
artc12

Re: [SOLVED]Page numbers and count not appearing with actual

Post by artc12 »

Thanks for the guidance about using the View -> Field Names menu. That did the trick! I must have toggled it by mistake at some earlier time using Open Office.
Open Office 4.1.2
Installed on Windows 7 operating system