files to folders

Discuss the word processor
loanmaker

files to folders

Post by loanmaker »

HI All.

I am a new author using OO to construct my work.
I currently save my work in Chapters - each chapter is saved separately. Over time it gets a bit more difficult to keep looking in the main file listing and I would like to transfer the Chapters of one book into a folder for the book - that way it's easier for me to save and access work on that book.

How do I create a book folder, name the folder, transfer existing saved chapters into the folder and transfer newly written work into the book folder?

I am sure this is pretty basic stuff but, I'm a 70 year old learning new technology - it's hard!

Loanmaker
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: files to folders

Post by Villeroy »

Are you using a master document to merge the subdocuments?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Loanmaker, what is "the main file listing" and what do you do to see it?

If I understand correctly, you have saved each chapter in a separate file but they may not be in the same folder and you want to put them all in one folder. Is that correct?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is easy enough to do, but do it outside of OO - i.e., in Windows.

Start up the file manager and make a new folder wherever you want it (right click, New folder). Name it as you wish. Then navigate to where your individual files were stored, right click, Copy (or just click on the file name and Ctrl C) and return to New Folder, Paste (Ctrl V). Do this for each file making up part of your book.

I am suggesting Copy (not Cut or Ctrl X) so that the original files are left untouched, just in case you make an error. The fact that you ask how to do this suggests you lack computer experience, so it is best to be safe. When you are certain that all your files are in New Folder (however named) [Check the count, and the file sizes], you can then navigate to the containing folder for each file, select it by clicking on it, and press Delete to remove it.

When you next start OpenOffice, the links in /File /Recent documents will not work, as you have moved the files to which they refer. You will have to navigate to New Folder and double click each file to open it. As you do this for each file, that file (in the new location) will now appear in Recent Documents.
 Edit: I advise practising this with some trivial files before doing the major move. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS