[Solved] Writer freezing

Discuss the word processor
frvlad

[Solved] Writer freezing

Post by frvlad »

Writer is freezing, then non-responsive when I compose a document - happens with both English and Russian fonts. When it freezes it will not allow saving and only restarting the program will fix the problem - it restores all previously open documents, but the unsaved portions are gone. I reinstalled 4.1.5 completely, but it still happens
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.5
robleyd

Re: Writer freezing

Post by robleyd »

If you are actually using Windows 10, see if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution.

If your AOO and OS versions have changed, please consider updating the information in your signature. How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
frvlad

Post by frvlad »

I followed the link to the solution you suggested, but the update listed for uninstalling is not installed on my computer, and neither is the update it proposes to take the place of the uninstalled one...
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.5
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Well, there is always the reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

frvlad wrote:Writer is freezing, then non-responsive when I compose a document - happens with both English and Russian fonts. When it freezes it will not allow saving and only restarting the program will fix the problem - it restores all previously open documents, but the unsaved portions are gone. I reinstalled 4.1.5 completely, but it still happens
I reread your post and it now it is not clear to me. Can you create a document and save it and later Writer freezes or if you are completely unable to save a newly created document?

Is there any pattern as to when Writer freezes?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
frvlad

Post by frvlad »

I open a previously saved document, or create a new one. While working on that document after a while, drop-down menu commands from the bar at the top do not respond, right-click drop-down menu commands do not even appear in the drop-down dialogue boxes. So the created doc, or changes to previously saved doc cannot be saved and the only option is to shut-down Writer (I only use Writer) When I reopen Writer the option to restore the docs comes up, but none of the previous work since last save appears, of course...
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.5
frvlad

Post by frvlad »

I have reset my profile and will see how Writer works for the next couple of days...
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.5
frvlad

Re: [Solved] Writer freezing

Post by frvlad »

The same thing is happening, so profile reset was not the solution. But, I did notice that it is happening to files previously saved as .doc files (Word 97) I just opened a previously saved file (.doc) and Writer crashed immediately - so it may be a glitch in recognising file types?
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.5