[Solved] How can I change the default list style?

Discuss the word processor
HonkHooligan

[Solved] How can I change the default list style?

Post by HonkHooligan »

My dad teaches a college class and types up all the quizzes/tests with multiple choice questions. I created a list style for him that looks like this:
rvFkG51.png
rvFkG51.png (12.07 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
How can I make this the default list style in Writer?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: How can I change the default list style?

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While I'm not as well versed in Writer as I am in Calc, I think what you would need to do is to change the default paragraph style to include the list (Writer help file refers to this as numbering) style that you're looking for.
Unless you know that you will almost, if not always, want the lists like this, I'm going to suggest that you create a custom paragraph style and use that when you want the list, rather than changing the default.
From the help file under Numbering and Numbering Styles
To Apply Numbering With a Paragraph Style
Paragraph Styles give you greater control over numbering that you apply in a document. When you change the numbering format of the style, all paragraphs using the style are automatically updated.
1. Choose Format - Styles and Formatting, and then click the Paragraph Styles icon.
2. Right-click the paragraph style that you want to apply numbering to, and then choose Modify.
3. Click the Outline & Numbering tab.
4. In the Numbering Style box, select the type of numbering that you want to use.
5. Click OK.
6. Apply the style to the paragraphs that you want to add numbering to.
Please use the information form the link supplied by robleyd in conjunction with the above.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
HonkHooligan

Post by HonkHooligan »

Thank you for your answers, however the problem still persists.

My custom list style as pictured above is saved as "Test." I've created a custom paragraph style and on the "Outline and Numbering" tab, chose "Test" as the Numbering Style:
85C9gHX.png
However despite this, when I start making a numbered list it still uses the default one:
sa5dp5b.png
sa5dp5b.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
I can save a custom template as the default just fine, it's just the default numbered list style that's being stubborn.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please upload a sample document. I've done enough guessing today.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
HonkHooligan

Post by HonkHooligan »

I've attached the template I created. Again, the custom list style I created is named "Test."
Attachments
Test.ott
Test template
(9.06 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A document created from the template doesn't contain any custom paragraph style which can be used to apply the custom list style to a list. How did you "start making a numbered list" without the custom paragraph style?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I think: You need modify the properties of the built-in (predefined) styles instead of the user defined styles in a template. Try it.

(You can create/use more than one template (and not only the default one). Just open the relevant template when you want to create a new document with the specific styles.) It is not a good idea to modify the default Template for each different document...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
HonkHooligan

Post by HonkHooligan »

How did you "start making a numbered list"
Typing "1. blahblahblah" pressing enter, pressing tab.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Use (apply) the desired styles manually.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

HonkHooligan wrote:
Starting a list that way uses hard-coded settings for the numbering instead of any user-modifiable list style. Look at the Numbering Style setting on the Paragraph dialog for one of the list items. The setting will be blank and not show any numbering style. You have to manually apply the "Test" list style to the list to change the numbering.
HonkHooligan

Post by HonkHooligan »

Bill wrote:
HonkHooligan wrote:
Starting a list that way uses hard-coded settings for the numbering instead of any user-modifiable list style. Look at the Numbering Style setting on the Paragraph dialog for one of the list items. The setting will be blank and not show any numbering style. You have to manually apply the "Test" list style to the list to change the numbering.
Looks like there's my answer, then. Thanks for helping out.