Issue inputting text with VERY wide document

Discuss the word processor
andytw

Issue inputting text with VERY wide document

Post by andytw »

I have created a very large document as I want to export it to PDF and get a PVC banner printed. It will be a mixture of graphics and text.

I created the document to be the same size as the finished banner i.e. 180 cms wide x 60 cms deep.

Suppose I now set a large font size of 100 and start to write across the document then I can only get to about 60 cms and it wraps to the next line.

I experimented further and tried a page width of 120cm and I can only type a single (yes one) character on each line before it automatically wraps.

As a workaround, I am sure I could just scale down everything by 10 and go for a document size of 18 x 6, but I don't know how this will work out when I turn up at the printers with my pdf.

I was using 4.1.2 so upgraded to 4.1.5 but it is still the same.

andytw
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Issue inputting text with VERY wide document

Post by FJCC »

I just tried that and see the same problem. I will look for a fix but I suggest making the document in Impress instead of writer. A quick test showed no problem handling a page width of 71 inches (180.3 cm).
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
andytw

Post by andytw »

Thanks for testing it and pleased you see the same problem. I am not familiar with Impress but will have a go. What I am trying to achieve is quite basic anyway.

I did just buy a cheapo license for MS Office (*) and MS Word does not allow that document size to be setup anyway.

(* I have been a committed Staroffice, Openoffice user until today...and expect to remain so.)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is an effective limit of about 65 cm for a line width in Writer; my guess is that this is due to an internal arithmetic limit on the pixel count of the characters. It does not apply in Draw or in Impress; for banners, Draw is often better.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
andytw

Post by andytw »

"Impress"ed.....thankyou.