[Solved] How do I stop $500 to autocorrecting to $500.00?

Discuss the word processor
FlappersFlappers

[Solved] How do I stop $500 to autocorrecting to $500.00?

Post by FlappersFlappers »

I am trying to write costs on a table, but every-time I try to write $500 or $2,100 etc. it always autocorrects to having .00 displayed at the end. I know that is technically correct, but I don't want nor need it for what I am doing. It seems that no matter what I do I can't stop it from happening. How do I change it so that it stays with what I want it to be and doesn't add that .00 at the end?
Thank you in advanced.

EDIT: I tried messing around with my autocorrect settings and now it changes $500.00 to $500 when I'm typing outside of the table. But still, no matter what, it stays as $500.00 when I'm trying to write inside the table. It's seriously vexing me and I'd like to get rid of this issue today!
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on OS X El Capitan Mac Version 10.11.6
FJCC

Re: How do I stop $500 to autocorrecting to $500.00?

Post by FJCC »

The best way to do this is to define a cell style with the properties you want. Select the menu Format -> Styles and Formatting. Click the leftmost icon near the top of the dialog to select cell styles. Right click on Default and select New. On the Organizer tab give the style a name. On the Numbers tab, click the Category Currency and choose a format. Choose any other properties you want the style to have then click OK. You can then select the cells you want to affect and double click on the style name in the Styles and Formatting dialog to apply that style.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FlappersFlappers

FJCC wrote:The best way to do this is to define a cell style with the properties you want. Select the menu Format -> Styles and Formatting. Click the leftmost icon near the top of the dialog to select cell styles. Right click on Default and select New. On the Organizer tab give the style a name. On the Numbers tab, click the Category Currency and choose a format. Choose any other properties you want the style to have then click OK. You can then select the cells you want to affect and double click on the style name in the Styles and Formatting dialog to apply that style.
When I click New on Default, there is no Numbers tab. This is what I see: https://imgur.com/gallery/mKvC0fN
I can't find anything that says "Category Currency"
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Due to a bit of miscommunication, I can understand why you are having trouble finding where FJCC was referring to.
Specifically, your image indicates that you are working in Writer, but your post is usually in regards to a Calc problem. The fact that you posted in the Beginners forum and didn't specify if you were working in Writer or Calc didn't help matters.

In regards to your caption with the image you uploaded, there is an Upload attachment tab located under this screen when using PostReply, but not QuickReply, which allows you to upload up to 3 files at a time and up to 128k.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Thank, RusselB! Yes, I just assumed this was a Calc question. You must be using a table in Writer. If you are not going to use the numbers for any calculations, select a cell in the table, then right click and remove the selections from Number Recognition. If you are going to do calculations. select the cells you want to affect, right click and select Number Format. Then select Currency from the Category list and from the Format list choose one with no decimals.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You have an unformatted cell with number format "General" and number format language "English(USA)" where you enter a currency value. The resulting representation is a number with currency symbol, 2 decimals, thousands separator and red color for negative values.
You have an unformatted cell with number format "General" and number format language "English(USA)" where you enter a date value. The resulting representation looks like 09/12/18 (2-digit month/day/year).

Number format "General" applies some standard formattings for different types of numeric input. This has nothing to do with autocorrect. The autocorrect feature modifies entered text while typing.
Number format "General" does not change your input. It just applies some number format since you did not apply any. Number $12.00 is just another representation of number 12 but still the same value.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
FlappersFlappers

Thanks guys...but I already finished the document and sent it to who needed it. It's annoying but it probably won't happen again because I rarely use tables, even more rarely write down costs. This kind of stuff is pretty complicated for me and I can never understand what people are talking about, this would likely go on for a long time. So in the interest of preventing this from continuing for ages about a problem that likely won't bother me again, I'll just end this here. I signed up just to ask this question so I'm not too sure how this works but I'm going to look for a way to close or delete this. Thanks for your help, and sorry for wasting your time on this (also sorry for my bad attitude).
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Topics are rarely deleted when complete, as others can use the search function to find topics that are similar to the problem they are having.
In order to "close" the topic, just follow the instruction at the bottom of my signature, specifically: If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FlappersFlappers

RusselB wrote:Topics are rarely deleted when complete, as others can use the search function to find topics that are similar to the problem they are having.
In order to "close" the topic, just follow the instruction at the bottom of my signature, specifically: If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Okay, thank you.
FlappersFlappers

FJCC wrote:Thank, RusselB! Yes, I just assumed this was a Calc question. You must be using a table in Writer. If you are not going to use the numbers for any calculations, select a cell in the table, then right click and remove the selections from Number Recognition. If you are going to do calculations. select the cells you want to affect, right click and select Number Format. Then select Currency from the Category list and from the Format list choose one with no decimals.
Okay, I don't know anything about this technical stuff. I didn't know I had to specify anything. So now that I tried to do this now I can't write anything without my formatting screwing up. Now I don't know how to fix it and people aren't helping.
RusselB

Re: [Solved] How do I stop $500 to autocorrecting to $500.00

Post by RusselB »

It sounds like you changed the settings of the default style and saved it with those settings.
I think the easiest way to get it back, is to reset your user profile.
Search the Tutorial section for a topic entitled The OpenOffice User Profile
You also might find the Mac FAQ's valuable
robleyd

Re: [Solved] How do I stop $500 to autocorrecting to $500.00

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers