Document in Use

Discuss the word processor
TSS2

Document in Use

Post by TSS2 »

Every file that is saved cannot be reopened. They all say Document in Use and only be only be opened on Read Only a copy of. Even if I create a document with one word and save it. I can not reopen it. I states it the "Document is Use" what can I do to fix this issue?
OpenOffice 4.1 5 / Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Document in Use

Post by RoryOF »

How do you close a document? If OO thinks a document is open it will only open the next copy read-only.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TSS2

Post by TSS2 »

No matter what file I open I get a message that the file is locked for editing by: Unknown User. This just started the 9/4/18. It have tried closing them every way possible to close the file. I even tried just creating a new file with one word. Saving it. Closing the file with File >> Close and I get the same thing.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A file may be marked "Readonly" on reopening if the computer was powered down or hibernated too speedily, before the internal housekeeping was correctly written to disk. Enable "Viewing of hidden and system files" (words to that effect) and you may find lock files left, either in the OO user profile or in the directory in which the R/O file was saved. These files are written to prevent multiple instances of the program attempting to make changes - only the first user to open the program has read-write rights; when one of these files is left, OO thinks that the file is already in use and prevents the next user writing to the file.

The lock files have names similar to this

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
If you are certain that the file is not in use by another user, such lock files may safely be deleted if OO is closed.

If they exist regularly after an editing session it is usually a matter of user education to prevent their continued existence - instruct users to use the formal computer shutdown procedure and wait ten or so seconds for the internal write buffers in the hard disks to flush to disk before turning the power off or unplugging computer from the electricity supply.

They can also be left after a computer or program crash; hopefully, these are very occasional occurrences.
 Edit: it is worth mentioning that the lock files are typically only a few hundred bytes, whereas the "owning" file will be a minimum of 6KB; anyone deleting such lock files should take heed of this, to ensure that the main file is not deleted. There is unfortunately an increasing tendency for "rampant clickitis" among less experienced and new computer users, which can lead to deletion of the wrong file. 
 Edit: If you have OO open and you are certain that no other user has these files open, you may safely delete any lock files; doing so should permit OpenOffice to Save the current file. It may be helpful to navigate /File /Save As to several locations and Save there - you should always have rights to Save to your desktop. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TSS2

Post by TSS2 »

There are no other users on my computer. I create a new document. I save it and close it and open it and it is great. If I immediately leave OO then go right back in and try to open the file I just created I get my issue. I have lots of disk space. Do you think it is the computer?
YODA

Post by YODA »

I just got the same message on my pc, deleted the .lock file and it still happens. Also and I do not know if this is related but if I try and close a window all of writer closes on me. Version: 6.0.6.2 (x64)
Finally managed to persuade Windows to run crash reporter and recover fixed it.
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
TSS2

Post by TSS2 »

Great news