[Solved] Crash with Tables Spanning More than 1 Page

Discuss the word processor
gtilflm

[Solved] Crash with Tables Spanning More than 1 Page

Post by gtilflm »

I have multiple documents that have tables that extend beyond one page. As of the last few weeks, they suddenly start crashing at a ridiculously high rate. When I edit them, move a table row, etc. they oftentimes crash. I have to be REALLY careful about saving after every little thing to prevent losing data. More info....
  • This is happening in a variety of different documents.
  • I've uninstalled, reinstalled, downgraded.... and the problem persists.
  • It's intermittent. No one action seems to trigger it (although I did repeatedly get it to crash with one particular action on one particular file earlier today).
Is this a known (fixable) issue? Please advise.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.15 on Windows 10
gtilflm

Re: Crashing -- Documents with Tables Spanning More than 1 P

Post by gtilflm »

Update: A colleague who has OO also reported that this behavior has been occurring. She estimates that it's been happening for a week or so. So, I don't think this is isolated to me.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It may be related to a Windows update - see if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
gtilflm

Post by gtilflm »

I'm kinda nervous about not applying windows updates just so OO will work. I can try that, but I'd like to pursue other options first. Any other thoughts on this?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Apparently the upgrade has caused issues with more than just AOO.

The link I gave you also includes a post suggesting a fix - see this particular post which you may consider trying.

Another, albeit less likely, option might be Resetting the user profile
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
gtilflm

Post by gtilflm »

I rolled back the update and so far so good. Will continue to monitor this though.

Thanks.
gtilflm

Re: [Solved] Crash with Tables Spanning More than 1 Page

Post by gtilflm »

IMPORTANT UPDATE (11-10-2018)

Tonight Windows forcefully decided to install updates (against my will) and this issue has now returned. Not only that, but the offending windows update (KB4343909) is not even an option to uninstall anymore on my update history.

To combat this MS fail, I tried installing older versions of OO and found that 4.0.0 seems to be working fine with the current MS updates AND files that would have previously crashed. I tried 4.1.2 and it was still crashing with the most recent MS updates. I haven't tried other versions, as I'm sticking with what works.

I hope this helps someone and Apache (there's no hope for MS so....) to come up with a workaround for whatever the issue is. At least 4.0.0 works, but my guess is that all 4.1.x's won't.