[Solved] Writing over image in a business card

Discuss the word processor
dogluvver22

[Solved] Writing over image in a business card

Post by dogluvver22 »

I want to print a business size card using an Avery template.
Every card will have the same full size image (covering all of the card)
Each card will have a different name printed on it.
The name will be drawn from either a Calc or Base source using Mail Merge.
Is this achievable?

I know I can print the name OK but having problems printing name on top of image/
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
dogluvver
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Writing over image in a card format

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
dogluvver22 wrote:Every card will have the same full size image (covering all of the card). Each card will have a different name printed on it. The name will be drawn from either a Calc or Base source using Mail Merge.
Use File → New → Labels (not Business Card). In the Labels dialog on the Labels subsection select the brand and business card type but don't select any database fields. In the Format subsection note the label's width and height. In the Options subsection select Entire Page and Synchronize, then use the New Document button.

In the new document at upper left insert a frame. In subsection Type set the correct width and height, unchecking Autosize. Select horizontal position Left and anchor To Paragraph. In subsection Wrap set the spacing to 0. In subsection Background set your image as the graphic. You probably want Type=Area.

Use View → Data Sources and select your database and table/query then drag the desired field headings down into the frame, formatting as desired. Unselect View → Data Sources. In the frame, position the cursor after the last database field. Use Insert → Fields → Other → Database → Next record → {YourDatabase} → {YourTable/Query} → Insert, then close the dialog. View → Field names should show the Next Record field.

Click Synchronize Labels. Use View → Data Sources. Select the records you want to merge with your document then use the Data To Fields icon. You're now ready to save or print your business cards. Read about Mail Merge in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the Writer Forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).