[Solved] Page Break After Table Continues Table

Discuss the word processor
mkellam2

[Solved] Page Break After Table Continues Table

Post by mkellam2 »

Hi,

In Open Office Writer, I have a page with a table and I want to add a page afterward that does not have a table. BUT if I add a page break, the following page continues the table. I would like to insert a page break so that the following page does not have a table, but I seem unable to get Open Office to do this. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks! Mike
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
----
Michael Kellam
Open Office 4.1.5 running on Mac OS X 10.10.5
RusselB

Re: Page Break After Table Continues Table But I Don't Want

Post by RusselB »

Without having a copy of your document to look at, the best I can do is guess that the cursor is still within the table boundaries when you are entering the page break.
Use View -> Non-Printing Characters (Ctrl+F10) to turn the display of those characters on/off.
With that display on, you should be able to easily see if your cursor is still in the table or not.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mkellam2

Post by mkellam2 »

Thanks for your reply. You are correct. The cursor is still within the boundaries because there is no blank line above or below the table, so if I click anywhere on the page, the cursor ends up in the table.

Once when it happened, I deleted everything on several pages and inserted some carriage returns and then put the table between them, but if the table is already there without the carriage returns, I don't seem to be able to click outside the table.

I have the same issue with multi-column formatted pages.

When I view Non-Printing Characters, it only shows me elements within the table and elements in the header and footer, so my attempt at a page break ends up either in the table or in the footer.

I didn't know if there was a way to create a blank line outside the table so I can click outside the table and the footer to insert the page break.

Thanks again! Mike
----
Michael Kellam
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Sounds like you need to use a smaller (fewer lines/rows) table.
I had no problems with a quick 2x2 table.
If you can't make your table smaller, try adjusting the top and/or bottom margins so that your table moves up (reduction of top margin) and/or gives more room at bottom (reduction of bottom margin)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on /View /non printing characters. Place cursor at beginning of first or end of last cell of table and press Alt Enter to force a blank paragraph above or below the table. Then you can position the cursor on that paragraph and insert a page break.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mkellam2

Post by mkellam2 »

Ahh, great! Thanks I appreciate that! Mike
----
Michael Kellam