[Solved] Writer Document saved as Doc in folder it is PDF

Discuss the word processor
DougCBAUT

[Solved] Writer Document saved as Doc in folder it is PDF

Post by DougCBAUT »

I have been using Open Office for many years and loved it. This is the first major issue I've had. I save my documents in writer as DOC files and then convert that saved document as a PDF to be able to exchange with others. I noticed I had version 4.12 and made a change to 4.15. All was working well until I noticed both my saved documents were now PDF files yet were showing they were DOC files in the window below the file directory screen. What is doubly puzzling is that all previous documents in previous versions saved as DOC files appear as PDF.

I need to have both a DOC and PDF file of each document. Is there anyone out there that might have an idea
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: Writer Document to be saved as Doc and in folder it is P

Post by RoryOF »

What are the three letter file extensions?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Double check that you are indeed getting the .pdf extension, and not just seeing the icon for the PDF viewer.
It's possible that your .doc files have had the associated program changed to that of the PDF viewer.
It's been too long since I used XP for me to give you direction on how to set your file browser (expolorer by default) to show the file extensions.

As to sharing files, the current versions of most, if not all, office suites now support the international ODF formats (.odt for Writer documents)
Additionally, you can export to PDF directly from Writer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
DougCBAUT

Post by DougCBAUT »

Thank you RoryOF and RussellB for your responses and direction. In the file directory I'm seeing only PDF. I will follow through and check what I can find about application associations. Thank you again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Are there any .odt files? You can use the system Search to find these.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DougCBAUT

Post by DougCBAUT »

Issue is resolved. Suggestion to check file extension and its' associated program to open had been changed to PDF. I went into the the folder where the recent files were listed as PDF and picked one that was a DOC file. I then changed the option / association for it and all is fixed. Thank you for the suggestion.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I save my documents in writer as DOC files
I strongly suggest you don't do this - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for reasons why not. Save your documents in the native ODF format and only export/save in another format when you need to send them to someone else.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
DougCBAUT

Re: [Solved] Writer Document saved as Doc in folder it is PD

Post by DougCBAUT »

Thank you for the suggestion. I will read and consider. Makes perfect sense. Thank you again.